Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examiner Junior Cert

Options
  • 02-06-2017 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi

I recently finished my teacher training degree in cork and I have a job for next year. I was wondering with the shortage of examiners Would I be eligible to apply to mark Scripts this summer or would I be deemed Too inexperienced I teach Irish btw- Looking forward to your replies

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apply anyway. They sound stuck.
    Be prepared for a lot of work.

See the various other threads about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Apply for it. It will be very valuable on your cv when applying for a job......and don't forget to highlight your experience at future interviews.
    Every teacher should act as an examiner at least once.
    Can be a bit of drudgery at times but take the positives from it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

by a lot of work what do u mean, how many hrs a day etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Sorting/Marking/telephone calls to your examiner/revisions/post office drops which can be more than once a day, definitely every few days, filling in result sheets, scruid 60s and finally a report on your marking but more importantly deadlines. Its not an easy three weeks.

thanks a million, Might consider it, Any idea how much for an Irish Script J.C Ordinary Leel and are Paper 1 and paper 2 one script or two

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Obviously it depends on the exam, level and number of papers, but for the first week I would usually be spending at least 8 hours a day at it. You tend to speed up as you get the marking scheme into your head and if there are no changes to it, but even towards the end, I'd be unlikely to have many days where I spent less than six hours at it.

Even on the day pf the conference, on return from Athlone with the papers, the whole of the first evening is spent organising and numbering the papers the way the SEC want it done.

The filling in of the marks and the writing of the report can take a day or more in themselves.

You will also need a place to work that no-one else has access to. They are (rightly) very big on security and confidentiality.

Make sure you meet all deadlines if you do take up an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

thanks a million, Might consider it, Any idea how much for an Irish Script J.C Ordinary Leel and are Paper 1 and paper 2 one script or two

Have no idea - ring the SEC as ever subject/paper has a different rate. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

A very solid day's work for every day, approx 25-26 days. Allow a 9-5 day and possible more depending on how fast a marker you are.
    Very accurate comments from Mod.

poted my application off 3 days ago, when will I hear anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

They are very busy at the minute with exams so I would follow up with a call , ask for the examiners section.

• Advertisement

And what would i say , just seek clarification on it or what

Just tell them what you told us. That you just finished your PME and tell them your subjects and that you are available :) Irish and CSPE are on their shortage lists.

And that you have a form sent in. Good luck.

thank you

How did you get on?

They didn't seem to know yet, I'll ring Monday emailed them too, Its just I have another job waiting for summer and want to know where i stand like

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

I did this once. It's an interesting experience. And worthwhile. It adds another dimension to your career. Hard work in the beginning until you get in the groove.

I didn't do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Saw on a Facebook post that they just sort the subject pile by first subject down on the forum. They were putting out adds and a teacher couldn't figure out why they didn't pick him even after ringing them, he was qualified in both subjects. He swopped the subject order and sent it in again and got the call straight away (could have been a one-off but ya never know).

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Saw on a Facebook post that they just sort the subject pile by first subject down on the forum. They were putting out adds and a teacher couldn't figure out why they didn't pick him even after ringing them, he was qualified in both subjects. He swopped the subject order and sent it in again and got the call straight away (could have been a one-off but ya never know).

What u mean swap like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What u mean swap like
    BAsically yes (that's just going on 1 anecdote though!).

I think the guy sent in an application with English First and CSPE second...news reports said they were desperate looking for CSPE and the guy rang up/emailed and nobody got back to him. So he sent in application again with CSPE first and English second and got a reply on foot of it!

• Advertisement

ah ok thanks

I rang today and got no info as in Thery'll ring if I am to be appointed, Might put CSPE down and send it off too

Advertisement