Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm application received

Options
  • 02-06-2017 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I handed in my gun application to my local Garda station the man at the station said that the super will have a chat with me then my local station sent my application to the main station and I received a letter saying my application was received it's been Three weeks now and haven't heard anything back wasn't asked to talk to super or anything how long does it usually take to get grant letter after sending off and is it compulsory to talk to super or will I get a liscence without meeting him?

Sorry for long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'd say that it would be unusual that the Super would talk to you, unless;
    a. the particular Super speaks to all new applicants or
    b. there is a particular reason why the Super needs to talk to you (e.g. if you were very young or you had a "rum in" with the Gardaí in the past)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Seanb2000

Vizzy wrote: »
    I'd say that it would be unusual that the Super would talk to you, unless;
    a. the particular Super speaks to all new applicants or
    b. there is a particular reason why the Super needs to talk to you (e.g. if you were very young or you had a "rum in" with the Gardaí in the past)
    Yes I am young I'm 16 almost 17...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'll bet the Super won't want to talk to you, that'd be pretty unusual.

It's good though that you have received the letter because that means that your application has been entered onto the system. The Gardaí have three months to process your application once it has been entered onto the system so unfortunately it's a waiting game now.

If you don't get the grant letter or hear from the Gardaí in the next three or four weeks, then call into the Garda station and ask how your application is progressing.

Best of luck.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'll bet the Super won't want to talk to you, that'd be pretty unusual.

It's good though that you have received the letter because that means that your application has been entered onto the system. The Gardaí have three months to process your application once it has been entered onto the system so unfortunately it's a waiting game now.

If you don't get the grant letter or hear from the Gardaí in the next three or four weeks, then call into the Garda station and ask how your application is progressing.

Best of luck.
    Entered in the system meaning the local Garda system or the Dublin hq
    Where they liscence it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

It's at your District HQ. The local lad won't pass it up the chain to the Supers office unless all the paper work is in order. AFAIK the letter should have a signature from the Super Intendient's office.
    Although I'm a bit vague on this, I offer a valid explanation as real world experience.
    In the last two years with the new FO I have received zero conformation such as you have received - total of 6-7 applications / renewals / substitutions. Previous to the incarnation of the new FO the other lad was very much on the ball having a very quick turnaround on paperwork.
    But having said that I often received the confirmation letter,days / weeks after receiving the grant letter.

• Advertisement

It's at your District HQ. The local lad won't pass it up the chain to the Supers office unless all the paper work is in order. AFAIK the letter should have a signature from the Super Intendient's office.
    Although I'm a bit vague on this, I offer a valid explanation as real world experience.
    In the last two years with the new FO I have received zero conformation such as you have received - total of 6-7 applications / renewals / substitutions. Previous to the incarnation of the new FO the other lad was very much on the ball having a very quick turnaround on paperwork.
    But having said that I often received the confirmation letter,days / weeks after receiving the grant letter.
    Yes the super did sign the letter stating the application was received hopefully I will get grant paper soon looking forward:) How long did it take for your first application to come back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

That's the 'How long is a piece of string?' question.

I applied for my first firearm, .22LR around 1985, I had the gun secured etc before I was of legal age and applied as soon as my birthday came a round. That took about a month. From that point on until only relatively recently due to retirement I had a gent of a FO who was quick off the mark. But the recent lad is very slow.

So two scenarios

Efficient FO - worst case scenario - 2 months: Super was a bit iffy about my Semi Auto Shotgun. Best case - 2 weeks

Inefficient FO- worst case scenario - 7 months: that was just for a substitution - shotgun for shotgun. Best case - 4 months - renewal, just received my grant for a renewal 1 month after the licence ran out.

Be patient but be vigil, have a gander of Garda.ie
    The Garda Commissioner?s Guidelines as to the Practical Application and Operation of the Firearms Acts, 1925-2009 (Amended 12/11/14)

Keep asking questions, there's a wealth of knowledge out there for all comers, regardless of experience

Advertisement