Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freewheel question

Options
  • 02-06-2017 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I have a question on how easy and free should the freewheel spin. The last few times I have been cleaning my bike i noticed that my freewheel doesn't spin much when I spin it by hand. It only spins for about a second and then stops. Is this normal? I have attached a video of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I think as long as it doesn't pull the chain set with it when freewheeling, it is probably ok. If it feels stiff to you, perhaps worth having a look inside.

They sound a lot quieter when new and after few rides can get quite loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It should spin for a lot longer than 1 second. Either your brakes are rubbing badly or the freewheel is very gummed up. It should spin for the best part of a minute or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    I have a question on how easy and free should the freewheel spin. The last few times I have been cleaning my bike i noticed that my freewheel doesn't spin much when I spin it by hand. It only spins for about a second and then stops. Is this normal? I have attached a video of it.

If I'm reading this right you've removed the wheel and are attempting to spin the cassette or free wheel body whilst holding the wheel? If so then yes it will not spin freely as one would expect from a ceramic bearing or such. The weight of the wheel creates the inertia and when the wheel is spun in the frame it should continue to spin much longer than a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Spinning the freewheel with the wheel off the bike isn't all that relevant - cheap freewheels and ones with big sprockets (>30t) will always spin faster/longer than vice versa.

The things that do count in checking a possibly stiff freewheel are when you lift the rear wheel and pedal a bit and then stop the pedals, or back-pedal with the chain line fairly straight, the top chain-run shouldn't dip or sag noticeably, and the rear derailleur swing-arm shouldn't move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If I'm reading this right you've removed the wheel and are attempting to spin the cassette or free wheel body whilst holding the wheel? If so then yes it will not spin freely as one would expect from a ceramic bearing or such. The weight of the wheel creates the inertia and when the wheel is spun in the frame it should continue to spin much longer than a second.

Yes that's correct. Thanks for all the replies btw

• Advertisement
Advertisement