Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech tree dead?

Options
  • 02-06-2017 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question. I planted six 7 to 8 foot beech trees back in February I think.
    4 of them now have leaves on them and are doing great. However 2 of them have no leaves at all. Don't seem to be budding at all. Are these dead or just really slow? Is there anything I can do to help them at this stage or should I just dig them up?

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi,

Quick question. I planted six 7 to 8 foot beech trees back in February I think.
    4 of them now have leaves on them and are doing great. However 2 of them have no leaves at all. Don't seem to be budding at all. Are these dead or just really slow? Is there anything I can do to help them at this stage or should I just dig them up?

Thanks..

They could be dead but if you dig them up you might damage them if they are just late starters. If there is no obvious injury or rot set in and they are not in the way I'd leave them as they are for a bit longer.

I made the mistake before of digging up a mahonia plant, I got a present of, that looked dead after it should have sprouted back to life. I damaged the shoots that were starting from the plant underground and the plant is looking definitely dead about a year later. I should have just given it a bit more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If I'm worried about any tree/shrub.

With thumb nail I etch back a wee bit of bark. If I come to green damp or sappy material I'm happy there's life of some sorts in there still, water it well and play the waiting game.

If you etch back the bark and it's dry underneath then I'd be very worried, I'd probably water it well and wait, but be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Thanks guys. I did your trick Brian with my thumbnail. One looks ok, its green and damp under the bark. The other, however, is Brown and dry under it. Looks to be gone. I'll leave them both until the winter though and then replace the one that looks to be gone. Thanks again.

Thanks guys. I did your trick Brian with my thumbnail. One looks ok, its green and damp under the bark. The other, however, is Brown and dry under it. Looks to be gone. I'll leave them both until the winter though and then replace the one that looks to be gone. Thanks again.

Double post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I'm thinking of naming the house "The Beeches"....... because the wife's going to get it in the settlement:)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I'm thinking of naming the house "The Beeches"....... because the wife's going to get it in the settlement:)

Hi again,

sorry to resurrect an oldish thread but I'm noticing an issue with my beech hedging that I planted back in February. It was flying up till now but just noticed that some of the leaves have turned brown over the last few days. I presume its to do with the dry warm weather. I did water them on Monday evening.
    Must not have been enough.

Is there any hope for them now? Is there anything I can do to save them?

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

I reckon they should recover anyway. Still looks like there are enough green leaves to keep them going. Some trees I planted this year have some similar branches but I would not expect it to be a problem in the long term. They might take a bit longer to start growing strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Keep watering, a bucketful to each plant, poured on slowly so it soaks in rather than washing away on the dry soil. Use a hose (unless there are water restrictions) but have it on slow pour rather than spray, and give it time.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Keep watering, a bucketful to each plant, poured on slowly so it soaks in rather than washing away on the dry soil. Use a hose (unless there are water restrictions) but have it on slow pour rather than spray, and give it time.

Thanks, thats what I did yesterday evening. Took me an hour and half as I have 350 of them! How often do they need watering when it hasn't been raining?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's hard to answer because it depends on the soil, shade, lots of things. I would think maybe twice a week if they are getting a decent amount each time though.

looksee wrote: »
    That's hard to answer because it depends on the soil, shade, lots of things. I would think maybe twice a week if they are getting a decent amount each time though.

Thanks for the help Looksee. I'm completely new to gardening or anything to do with it so appreciate any help.

Advertisement