Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New couch won't come through the front door!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Here we go again , boom time , I'm sorry but that's bullin money for 2 men and a hoist , it's people that are willing to pay this price that put the price up for everyone else , 500 for a couple of hours work , give me a break

A couple of hours work, a machine capable of lifting the couch and a truck and driver to deliver and collect the machine. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

How much do you think would be reasonable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

RustyNut wrote: »
    A couple of hours work, a machine capable of lifting the couch and a truck and driver to deliver and collect the machine. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

What machine do you need ? , it's a couch that needs to be lifted 4 metres , 2 lads with a brain between them would have it up in half an hour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Here we go again , boom time , I'm sorry but that's bullin money for 2 men and a hoist , it's people that are willing to pay this price that put the price up for everyone else , 500 for a couple of hours work , give me a break

Boom Time?? You for real? You will have to hire the hoist for at least the day. A truck will be needed to get into the site and out again. 2 men in said truck. By the time You take getting it there, off the truck, job done and loaded again that's a half day minimum. But you'll never get a company to charge for a half day. 2 men would be an easy 200 quid before tax in wages. Forget diesel running the truck and whatever. Then there's the actual rental fee for the hoist. Them machines cost a small fortune to buy. Pop insurance on top of that. You'd be surprised. Suffice to say take your head out your ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

RustyNut wrote: »

The machine would be dropped to site anyway. I'd agree ~€500 would be about right for two men and the machine

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    The machine would be dropped to site anyway. I'd agree ~€500 would be about right for two men and the machine

Again , what machine ? You can rent a manual hoist to go 5 metres that will lift half a ton , but then again I wouldn't , I'd do it with a mobile tower and a bit of muscle , the safety of city living has stripped a lot of people of the capabilities of thinking outside the box (apartment)

• Advertisement

dbagman wrote: »
    Boom Time?? You for real? You will have to hire the hoist for at least the day. A truck will be needed to get into the site and out again. 2 men in said truck. By the time You take getting it there, off the truck, job done and loaded again that's a half day minimum. But you'll never get a company to charge for a half day. 2 men would be an easy 200 quid before tax in wages. Forget diesel running the truck and whatever. Then there's the actual rental fee for the hoist. Them machines cost a small fortune to buy. Pop insurance on top of that. You'd be surprised. Suffice to say take your head out your ass.

Jesus , I hope you're not in a job that requires any level of problem solving , you'd need to get council approval for what your planning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Again , what machine ? You can rent a manual hoist to go 5 metres that will lift half a ton , but then again I wouldn't , I'd do it with a mobile tower and a bit of muscle , the safety of city living has stripped a lot of people of the capabilities of thinking outside the box (apartment)

The machine in the post I was replying to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Phonicks

Ask a nearby farmer if he has pallet forks on a loader, turn up around 10am, he will be in for the tay after milking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Is there a balcony above yours some sort of fixing point?

Could you hire/borrow some pullies to hoist the couch up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Phonicks wrote: »
    Ask a nearby farmer if he has pallet forks on a loader, turn up around 10am, he will be in for the tay after milking.

My thoughts exactly... except there probably aren't too many local farmers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭eireyiddo

Ropes are all ye need and 3 men No machines. Your complicating d job. And that's only if you'd t go the scenic route To be honest I reckon I'd get it thru front door wit 1 lad. €250 and I'll have ye watching Netflix on it tomro evenin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

We have a pretty large couch and got it in through our standard size door by putting it upright (on one arm) and walking it around the door. I hope this makes sense as I've had a few gins tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

eireyiddo wrote: »
    Had exact same problem, 3 lads and it'll take about 15 minutes Max. Small bit of blue rope. 1 lad on d ground, 2 over on balcony, as the two up on balcony pull it up. Lad below just pulls it away Fri. The building. I'll get 2 buddies and do it for 250 if yer stuck. It's what's commonly referred to as a piece of piss

Which one is you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

eireyiddo wrote: »
    The shoes it sits on should be removed for any extra wriggling room

Shoes are the first stage- even the couple of inches they give may help enormously. If you still have an issue- is it a massive issue- or a little one.
    The guy who suggested lubrication- is onto something- however, it depends entirely on what the couch is made of (aka- obviously don't lubricate a fabric couch- but a leather one is an entirely different story).

Pivot- yup- don't look at the actual dimensions of the couch and throw your hands up in failure- get an arm in the door- this'll give you a few inches more to wiggle with- as you'll be able to get part of the body in- keep wiggling in and out- this may even do it..........

If this still is insufficient- most solid couches are bolted together- even if it means tearing the fabric that is inevitably hiding the underbody of the couch- there is a strong probability that you can unbolt one or both of the arms- for reassembly once you get it in the door..........

Note- your front door is step one- its entirely possible/probable that you have a door into your living room which may be even smaller. Getting in the front door is just the start- don't start reassembly until you've the couch in the room in which it is supposed to finish up...........

The 'pivot, pivot, pivot' idea- is spot on.

You'd be surprised at just how many of us have been in the exact same position that you're in.

If you do go with the hoisting it up the exterior wall and taking it in the balcony door idea- make sure you're not transferring your problem from your front door to your balcony instead- aka- make sure your balcony door is at least as tall and wide as your front door.............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Jesus , I hope you're not in a job that requires any level of problem solving , you'd need to get council approval for what your planning

I'm not planning anything. If you bothered reading the OP you'd realise that was their plan. I was merely pointing out what was involved and why it was going to cost in the region of 500 quid. Also if you're ever planning on lifting a recliner couch (Not a standard one so a good bit heavier) through a first floor window with your bare hands please PM me the address. I'll be up with a few beers to watch the hilarity ensue.

dbagman wrote: »
    I'm not planning anything. If you bothered reading the OP you'd realise that was their plan. I was merely pointing out what was involved and why it was going to cost in the region of 500 quid. Also if you're ever planning on lifting a recliner couch (Not a standard one so a good bit heavier) through a first floor window with your bare hands please PM me the address. I'll be up with a few beers to watch the hilarity ensue.

I'd use my brain before I'd use my hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

OP, you could get a couple of ladders and slant them up to the balcony at a 30 degree angle, and then you have a kind of ramp that you can pull the couch up with some ropes. Much less risk of damage or dropping it than a vertical lift plus you can pause it halfway if you need to.

Actually, maybe not a 30 degree angle, I suppose, if it's really 4 meters. But if the bottom of the balcony is 2.5 or 3 meters, then that's where the tops of the ladders would rest, so maybe a pair of 4 meter ladders at a 40 degree angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Myself and my brother did this for our sister.

If it's only 4 metres ropes are the way to go. Just make sure the men you choose to do it are physically strong and know how to tie and secure the couch so they can lift with confidence and no accident happens. Or the women just for equality sake. Rope and good gloves. 4 people will do this no problem if it is heavier than the one we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

How big is the balcony? Could you leave it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've had a few reclining couches and on them all the back came off with 2 little clips on each side, you may need to tear the fabric. Also the separate seat sections where bolted together so if needed one person could have moved them into my 2nd floor apartment on their own.

I highly doubt that the manufacturers use different methods of manufacturing a sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Very surprised it won't fit in a normal door at some type of angle.

Usually manufacturers are well aware of need to fit through a standard door.

Maybe you need to double check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

had a quick skim through the thread

The only options I didnt see mentioned was scaffolding. There was a cheap 99 euro scaffolding in Aldi/Lidl a few months ago I think.

It might make it easier to lessen the distance before you start pulling on it with ropes if you can raise it up onto a scaffolding plank supported by acros or even any sort of platform.
    If you go the cheapest route and get manpower as a favor from family or friends , then you might not have enough people to maintain constant force on the rope during awkward moments. In that scenario . Someone putting an acro prop under the couch when its almost at the top might allow you to take a breather just before you take it over the balcony.

Try to get some sensible idea of the weight of the couch, how that weight is distributed and choose your ropes and supports appropriately. Include a safety factor . A falling or swinging couch puts far more force on a supporting rope than a simple well behaving weight of the same size. And needless to say , you need to be careful about bystanders passing by who dont realise whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

can you return the couch to the store and buy a smaller one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Can you move out into a new apartment/house with a door the couch will fit through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Can you update us and let us know if you got the couch in the door? Seriously, I've been sitting on this thread all weekend waiting to find out!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Can you update us and let us know if you got the couch in the door? Seriously, I've been sitting on this thread all weekend waiting to find out!

Missed 'sitting on the edge of my couch' pun opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

delly wrote: »
    Missed 'sitting on the edge of my couch' pun opportunity

Darn it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Also OP, who are you paying the €80 to take away the old couch?
    Is that for disposal, or for the physical act of lifting it down the stairs? Your local svp might be glad to take it away FOC if it's in reasonable condition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've had a few reclining couches and on them all the back came off with 2 little clips on each side, you may need to tear the fabric. Also the separate seat sections where bolted together so if needed one person could have moved them into my 2nd floor apartment on their own.

I highly doubt that the manufacturers use different methods of manufacturing a sofa.

This ^^^

I used to deliver furniture for 3 different companies and I never came across a recliner, which you say yours is, that didn't come apart.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement