Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New couch won't come through the front door!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭pavb2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

not sure if it's been suggested but could you not be able to get a refund or exchange for something smaller??!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

not sure if it's been suggested but could you not be able to get a refund or exchange for something smaller??!

Many couches are made to order, so the store won't take it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Ahh I see. Never thought of that. In any case, it's worth explaining to the seller the situatin and maybe trying to reason with them. Maybe they have something already made that they are looking to get rid of, even if it were worth less you'd be saving on getting a cherry picker or whatever. I'd go to the seller first before anything else. Nothing to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cogotazo

So many questions here... probably none of them will be answered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Sell the couch on Adverts or directly to a furniture shop? Buy a new one that fits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I've never seen a couch, recliner or not, that wouldn't fit in through a standard door. Wiggle, wiggle, pivot, pivot.... they all go in.

Just to make it a little easier take the door off at it's hinges. Simple 2 minute job that saves a shed load of hassle and gives you that extra inch or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I've never seen a couch, recliner or not, that wouldn't fit in through a standard door. Wiggle, wiggle, pivot, pivot.... they all go in.

Just to make it a little easier take the door off at it's hinges. Simple 2 minute job that saves a shed load of hassle and gives you that extra inch or two.

Poorly made recliner that won't dismantle - definitely wont.

@people bemoaning the cost of getting this hoisted. It's on thing to do it with some rope and a few mates and quite another for the proper equipment to be there for half a day with the proper risk assessments and insurance in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

pavb2 wrote: »

Or the OP could use a forklift .

I have seen a forklift lift a van . It could surely lift a couch closer to the destination

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Been a long weekend. Need answers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Can you move out into a new apartment/house with a door the couch will fit through?

or, demolish the apartment block and rebuild it around the couch?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

loyatemu wrote:

That's a bit dramatic when a chainsaw to the couch would solve the problem in a jiffy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Sofas have lots of padding otherwise they wouldn't be sofas, it'll squash through no bother. Might have to slather it in butter to stop it tearing. Or olive oil or something I don't know

Either way I need to know how this ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

ask for hand of a couple of guys around your neighbour hood?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Conorhal you divil ya. We need closure!! Or did you catch your death watching tv in the front garden??

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Terrible sad. Terrible sad.

419220.PNG

conorhal wrote: »

Has anybody had experience with this kind of problem or can reccomend a mover that does this kind of job in D8?
    I'm at my wits end with this! :(

Similar happened me when I bought my first property in 2005. The 3 seater wouldn't fit around a bend on the groundfloor to get up the stairs to my flat.

Thankfully the delivery lads were sound, we horsed the sofa up onto the rough of the truck, they passed it up to me, I held on to the thing and they ran up the stairs, the 3 of us got it over the balcony rail and in the balcony door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

loyatemu wrote: »

Chris Carey of Radio Nova (the pirate version) did similar with a transmitter.

Couldn't get it into the building so decided to build a new building around the transmitter. (think large concrete shed)

Came in handy a couple of years later when there was a raid by p&t guys and they went to confiscate the transmitter. - There was much scratching of heads before they gave up.

Nova was back on air an hour later!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

dbagman wrote: »
    Conorhal you divil ya. We need closure!! Or did you catch your death watching tv in the front garden??

I'm still exploring my options!

Access to the rear of the apartments is a narrow nightmare for a cherrypicker style lifter to access because it is as wide as your average car.
    To make matters worse, the ground floor apartment below my balcony has a tiny garden with a low ironwork fence around it and some moron planted a massive conifer tree in that tiny bloody garden making a direct approach from the rear a rather bushy nightmare with very little space to operate.
    There is access to the balcony from the side but there is a raised wall partition that's quite high and of course there are big bushes planted all along the side of the building.
    I might just go the Delboy route, a mate suggested putting up a stepped scaffolding, a series of platforms like steps to the side of the balcony and just lifting the sofa up in say 3 or four 5ft stages. It only has to go up one and a half stories, and scaffolding hire and a hand from a few mates would be a lot cheaper then a hoist.
    Anyway it will be later this week before I make a final call on the matter once my scaffolding dude takes a look and gets back to me regards how feasible that option is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Cordell

making a direct approach from the rear a rather bushy nightmare
    Just spilled my coffee, thank you very much!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I had a 3 seater that we couldn't get in via the front door, the issue was that the entrance to the living room was to the immediate right so there was no amount of pivoting that wouldn't damage the walls of ceiling. We lifted it over the back wall, took off the patio door and into the house that way.

I had forgotten about it when I went to take it back out again when moving, I think it put on an extra few stone over the years (all the dead skin!) and some hedge growth made it harder again to get it back out.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I had a 3 seater that we couldn't get in via the front door, the issue was that the entrance to the living room was to the immediate right so there was no amount of pivoting that wouldn't damage the walls of ceiling. We lifted it over the back wall, took off the patio door and into the house that way.

I had forgotten about it when I went to take it back out again when moving, I think it put on an extra few stone over the years (all the dead skin!) and some hedge growth made it harder again to get it back out.

You can trust this one fact, the day this !FU(Q£T*$% suite of furniture needs to leave I will, with a great deal of pleasure, be taking an axe to it and it will go out the front door in peices!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

conorhal wrote: »
    You can trust this one fact, the day this !FU(Q£T*$% suite of furniture needs to leave I will, with a great deal of pleasure, be taking an axe to it and it will go out the front door in peices!

are you 100% sure it won't go through the door? I've seen removal men moving fairly large pieces of furniture around that I was sure wouldn't fit, and it wasn't a bother to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm trying hard* to assume that you're not taking the pss**, so please have this piece of wisdom: the sofa was not born, it was put together. Anything that was put together can be taken apart.

**no reason to stop
    *no pun intended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Where are you? Can us boardsies help? What your describing you could be a neighbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What machine do you need ? , it's a couch that needs to be lifted 4 metres , 2 lads with a brain between them would have it up in half an hour

haha reading this thinking the same reading some responses.

Also doorframes are a standard size and couches etc. are designed to go through a front door. Might seem impossible, but you haven't seen the angle it goes in yet.

Not sure if anyone mentioned, but you might need to take the door of the hinges, that is a few cm's/mm's that can make all the difference.

I'm actually failing to believe it won't go through the front door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Where are you? Can us boardsies help? What your describing you could be a neighbour!

Literally only thinking this myself. This sounds like a call to arms thread that is going to make a funny youtube video when it transpires it won't go through the front door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

I have moved couches that were wider than the door by standing them on their ends and fishing them through, pivoting on its end around the door frane. It's done that way all the time.

Odelay wrote: »
    I have moved couches that were wider than the door by standing them on their ends and fishing them through, pivoting on its end around the door frane. It's done that way all the time.

And that's what was attempted, the problem is that the door opens back against a wall to the left and just inside the door to the right the wall extends about a foot and a half out, because all the pipes for water and sewage go down inside that wall, it's kind of like a mini foot and a half corridor, so the tall back of the couch comes in upright but, sigh, you cannot pivot it to get the the seat in sideways, even removing the door (which I had to do to get the previous suite in).
    Several people have asked if the suite can be taken apart and sadly the vendor says no. So it looks like the balcony is my only option. Even though the door to it is narrower then the front, it can be taken off and there is room to pivot!!!
    I think this might be less of a problem for apartments built since legislation for wheelchair access was implemented because poor building design prior to that often meant little thought was given to moving large objects in and out of houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I know it's slightly late now but would you not have thought of this before purchase?

I quite like in Belgium that the windows are removable in most apartments, and delivery includes hoists

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement