Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New couch won't come through the front door!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

amtc wrote: »
    I know it's slightly late now but would you not have thought of this before purchase?

I quite like in Belgium that the windows are removable in most apartments, and delivery includes hoists

Incredibly helpful comments if (a) the OP has a time machine, or (b) loves his new couch so much that he'll move to Belgium to keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

To be fair to the OP I once bought a couch and measured my door frame and measured the couch and worked it out in my head that it should fit and low and behold when it got delivered I got it into the house ok but what I didn't account for was the hinges these fire doors have now and I was lucky I was able to remove the door and hinges from the frame but so easy in hindsight to say "Oh did you not think of this before you bought it"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I bought a lovely deep couch once and agreed with the shop that I would measure the lift opening to ensure that it would fit - I lived on the 5th floor of an old factory building. Lo and behold the delivery date arrives. No problem with the width or height of the lift opening but the gap between the lift and wall wasn't deep enough for them to get it in. Fair dues to the guys, a 20 year old and his 17 y/o mate they shifted it up 10 flights of stairs - all high ceilings. When hey brought it int he door they had to sit down for 30 minutes to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Marcusm wrote: »
    I bought a lovely deep couch once and agreed with the shop that I would measure the lift opening to ensure that it would fit - I lived on the 5th floor of an old factory building. Lo and behold the delivery date arrives. No problem with the width or height of the lift opening but the gap between the lift and wall wasn't deep enough for them to get it in. Fair dues to the guys, a 20 year old and his 17 y/o mate they shifted it up 10 flights of stairs - all high ceilings. When hey brought it int he door they had to sit down for 30 minutes to recover.

With some beers and quality scoff I hope...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

We've gotten couches into our apartment that seemed to defy the laws of physics!
    Our internal doors are smaller than standard (thank you early 90s developers!), and our front door is at an odd angle to the living room door, with not much room between.

Clever rotation both vertically and horizontally does the trick. Takes some thought and some experimentation, but unless the couch is mass-ive(!).. it must be possible to negotiate through the front door..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Are you sure you have exhausted all variations of the giant catapult solution. Varying the elastic tension or the angle of launch may be all it takes
    Don't forget to take in to account the greater air resistance of velvet furniture compared to your leatherette finishes.

And leave the balcony window open. A common enough mistake.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thankyou all- for your very helpful suggestions.
    Next time I have a similar issue- I'll be sure to google this thread
    While it would be interesting to hear whether the OP managed to resolve their issue- I think we'll leave it there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement