Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden waste in black bin

Options
  • 02-06-2017 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Can I put branches & garden waste in black bin ?

I'm with CityBins, & nothing on their website says I can't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sure
    Couldn't see why not.

Obviously it would be better recycling correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

_Brian wrote: »
    Sure
    Couldn't see why not.

Obviously it would be better recycling correctly.

Sorry should have noted - brown bin full !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Leave next to brown bin and put in bin when empty - sorry to state the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Where do contents of black bin end up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

bobbyss wrote: »
    Where do contents of black bin end up?

Landfill, mostly, unless you are in the catchment for an incinerator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Leave next to brown bin and put in bin when empty - sorry to state the obvious.

Thanks, I had thought of that but I wanted to avoid a lot of loose garden waste being blown around, & wanted to get it out of the way, & into a bin if possible, hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭OU812

You can get compostable bags (large) from the council, put small waste like leaves & grass cuttings into those, then leave them by the brown bin when it's biing collected & they'll horse it into the back as well. Also the council do drive by pickups for these. It's all free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OU812 wrote: »
    You can get compostable bags (large) from the council, put small waste like leaves & grass cuttings into those, then leave them by the brown bin when it's biing collected & they'll horse it into the back as well. Also the council do drive by pickups for these. It's all free.

What council? Ours certainly doesn't. All waste collection is by private companies who charge by the bin, with no extras allowed unless you pay for additional bins.

The council never does a drive by for anything here.

Dublin city council does it. I use it on a semi regular basis.

Am also with city bin (best around) & there's never been an issue with leaving the occasional "outside of the bin" stuff as long as its secure & not too much hassle for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Dublin city council does it. I use it on a semi regular basis.

Am also with city bin (best around) & there's never been an issue with leaving the occasional "outside of the bin" stuff as long as its secure & not too much hassle for them.
    I was under the impression that service was just for bags of fallen leaves, etc., in Autumn and the pink snow from the cherry trees in Spring!
    In other words, only stuff suitable for composting would be collected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

City Council has a very good bring centre in Rathmines, not too far from Swan Centre. Charge is E2 per bag of garden cuttings. Was there this morning and staff very helpful and friendly. I believe there is similar in Rathgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Not Quite A Hipster

Nothing is free!

Rancid wrote: »
    I was under the impression that service was just for bags of fallen leaves, etc., in Autumn and the pink snow from the cherry trees in Spring!
    In other words, only stuff suitable for composting would be collected.

Don't know what to tell you chief, regular collection round here (Nth Dublin). Hedge & grass cuttings, leaves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Don't know what to tell you chief, regular collection round here (Nth Dublin). Hedge & grass cuttings, leaves etc.
    All compostable stuff, yes.
    Good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Would it matter if green stuff ie leaves, wood, branches etc go to landfill? If it is all dumped into the ground anyway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's probably nothing wrong per se if it goes to landfill, more the opportunity cost as it's material that can be put to better use by being made into compost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

bobbyss wrote: »

Would it matter if green stuff ie leaves, wood, branches  etc go to landfill? If it is all dumped into the ground anyway?
    The black bin costs you money per lift, the brown bin will be emptied as many times as you like, for no extra cost.
    Anyhow, why dispose of it. Start a compost bin with the green parts of it and the smaller sticks, chopped up, add in your kitchen vegetable waste as well, and cut the branches up into small pieces and leave to dry out as fuel for the fire next winter.
    There's plenty of info on line regarding composting.

Advertisement