Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great desk search

Options
  • 02-06-2017 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Right as days go buy I find my current desk system to be northing short of a pain in the ass.
    I need a new one.

I've looked at Ikea and seen nothing I find particularly attractive.

Where do you go for your desks? Any recommendations ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

What one's have you looked at in IKEA? I have the Linnmon which is pretty plain but does the job quite well and is deep which i think it the most important thing to look for in a computer desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, for me depth is massively important, I see people on the image thread with keyboards that are almost leaning off the edge of the desk - don't know how they do it, I need to literally have both elbows up on the desk when playing FPS games!

Ex-office stock is always worth a look - cheap and perfect if you like deep desks. I got mine for €50 off adverts and it's huge. Usually places like adverts, donedeal, Cash Factory, etc will have desks like this for pretty small money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Bargaintown might have some decent desks at reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I bought one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If you can build a PC, you can build a desk!

For real though, I picked up a freebie on adverts. They come up pretty often in the free stuff section.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I got the Fredde from Ikea, find it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Have you thought about Ikea Hacking a Custom desk for yourself. As another poster said, if you can build a PC you can Ikea Hack a desk.

Popular Youtuber RandomFrankP built himself an ikea-hack desk

On a personal note, I inherited two Ikea Malm computer desks from my brother and his Girlfriend. I was able to come up with an Ikea-hack to them that I think makes them more than the sum of their parts. ie. turned two plain looking desks that didn't really work for me in their standard configuration placed side by side, into a much nicer large single desk that better suits my needs. I literally just have to buy another Malm drawer unit and a few Capita Legs.

ozOKodN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Bought an office desk on done deal a few years ago for €80 or so, and I still have it. Second hand office stock is an excellent idea, loads of it out here so great variety and good deals to be got, and the people that deal in office furniture usually have a van and can deliver. Best go for a modular type one with a metal frame that can be assembled/disassembled easily.

The other option is to build one, I’m getting a local timber supplier to glue some lengths of 25mm iroko to form a 1.5M deep x 1.8M wide surface I can cut a curved desktop with a 1/2” router out of-plan is to reuse the frame of the current desk for now. I also looked at premade hardwood countertops, though you would need some serious gear to glue & clamp a few of these together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ex office desks only way to get something deep enough.

I don't get how people use the narrow ones in retail stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Yeah, for me depth is massively important, I see people on the image thread with keyboards that are almost leaning off the edge of the desk - don't know how they do it, I need to literally have both elbows up on the desk when playing FPS games!

Ex-office stock is always worth a look - cheap and perfect if you like deep desks. I got mine for €50 off adverts and it's huge. Usually places like adverts, donedeal, Cash Factory, etc will have desks like this for pretty small money.

Same, I have a desk that's a 70 cm deep and 120cm wide, can't be good for your, wrists falling off the end of a desk unsupported. I got it in Harvey Norman for 80 euros.

But the problem is my tower lives on my desk and takes up a huge amount of room. The monitor 1 and monitor 2 I'm running out of real estate space. Even with wooden floors, I live on a really busy road so dust is a battle. So I'm not too keen on keeping my rig hidden away from view.

I found this place prices are a little steep. https://radiusofficefurniture.ie/shop/office-furniture/office-desks/straight-desks/komo-cable-managed-cantilever-straight-desk/?attribute_pa_wood-finish=black&attribute_pa_metal-finish=white&attribute_pa_size=1600-x-800mm&gclid=CObErf-1p9QCFei37QoduYEFEQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's actually almost identical to the one I have. Same measurements and cable routing holes, just beech. I got it on adverts for €50 delivered from a guy clearing out an office :)

There's a fair few up there at the moment that are pretty good. Again, I would recommend a Cash Factory if there's one nearby. There's one beside my house here in Galway and while I haven't been there in a while they used to have a fantastic range of 2nd hand office furniture for pretty reasonable prices.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I got the Fredde from Ikea, find it great.
    I got the Fredde too some months ago, find it a fantastic desk. The cut out front might not suit the OP, though I find it grand, still deeper than my previous desk.

Advertisement