Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whether to seek training contract

Options
  • 02-06-2017 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello everyone. I am debating at the moment either to do a masters or else seek a training contract later this year. I understand the market is favorable, but I would hope to work in one of the big firms which remain highly competitive. I have a first class honors law degree (UCC) with a few months internship experience. Extra-curriculars are somewhat lacking, which is partly why I want to spend another year in university! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

a few months internship experience.
    In most professions, you would have been expected to work in the profession during summers, etc., even if it was only in the copy room.

What happens if, 2(?) years down the line, you decide law isn't for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Victor wrote:
    In most professions, you would have been expected to work in the profession during summers, etc., even if it was only in the copy room.

Seeing as you'll need the fe1's done anyway, if it was me, I would gain experience as a legal assistant or similar role, while getting the fe1's in the bag. After a year's experience in an office you'll be a different applicant entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnAbruzzi

Ah, the copy room. Highly underappreciated work one must add. If you have ever watched UK Supreme Court proceedings you would realize it. A girl who interned at a firm I was in messed up page numbers, which was only discovered when the judge asked the solicitor for a reference! Thanks for the feedback gents.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ah, the copy room. Highly underappreciated work one must add.
    Summer before / after first year in college, you're not going to get much better than that.

Advertisement