Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know how much it costs to register a car in spain or other EU country?

Options
  • 02-06-2017 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

We are moving to Spain soon and we are trying to sell our car but the reality is that it may take more time than we have and we don't want to give our car away for a ridiculously low price so are considering taking it and using it in Spain as we will need a car anyway. The only things that bug me about that are:

1) I have never driven on the right hand side of the road and worry about how safe it is using a rhd drive car on the right side of the road. I think using it on holiday might be fine but since it will be our primary car I wonder if it is a bad idea
    2) selling the car might be difficult but we will have lots of time and many people come over to the UK and Ireland from Spain so it might be easy enough selling the car and having enough time to find a good buyer
    3) Cost of registering the car in spain, I still have to look into this but does anyone here know the costs involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Cant really answer your question, but have you checked how much a similar car would be in Spain? If it's cheaper over there then you may be better off just selling your irish car for whatever you can get. Personally I wouldn't bother bringing a car over permanently, you won't really be able to sell it again and it'll be awkward because the driver seat will be on the wrong side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

miezekatze wrote: »
    Cant really answer your question, but have you checked how much a similar car would be in Spain? If it's cheaper over there then you may be better off just selling your irish car for whatever you can get. Personally I wouldn't bother bringing a car over permanently, you won't really be able to sell it again and it'll be awkward because the driver seat will be on the wrong side.

The only offers I have received are very low and not really realistic. Just seems like someone trying their luck you know? A similar car there would cost around 4k more than the offers I have received for mine. I would really love selling mine and buying one there but there has to be a limit right?

Let's say I never registered in Spain and just kept it until I found a buyer that was moving to Ireland. Would that be possible? Could I mail the log book from Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

I live in Spain and Ireland. Its prohibitive to try importing to spain. As in. Dont go there

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cardshark

Out of curiosity, what's the car and the price you are after?

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I live in Spain and Ireland. Its prohibitive to try importing to spain. As in. Dont go there

What do you mean prohibitive? It is perfectly legal to do so

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/spain/index_en.htm

• Advertisement

cardshark wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the car and the price you are after?

https://www.milanuncios.com/kia-de-segunda-mano/kia-rio-1-2-cvvt-85cv-drive-226896967.htm

I am selling my KIA RIO 1.4 CRDI for the same price that this car is sold for in spain and it is a 1.2 only. Yes I have twice the mileage but I think those two things would even out the price.

If I was in your position, I wouldn't bring the car. Mainly for the fact that the steering wheel is on the wrong side. I don't think finding a buyer that is moving to Ireland would be very realistic.

Could you leave the car here for someone else to sell for you or is it that you need the funds before you go in order to purchase a car in Spain?

What part of Spain btw? Sounds like a dream! Best of luck with it anyway.

If I was in your position, I wouldn't bring the car. Mainly for the fact that the steering wheel is on the wrong side. I don't think finding a buyer that is moving to Ireland would be very realistic.

Could you leave the car here for someone else to sell for you or is it that you need the funds before you go in order to purchase a car in Spain?

What part of Spain btw? Sounds like a dream! Best of luck with it anyway.

Yes we really don't want to bring the car but we also don't want to give it away for a ridiculously low price so it is a hard choice. If you had a car that you knew was worth let's say 10 grand, would you sell it for 5 and buy a car in spain with the 5 or would you prefer driving your 10k car there with the wheel on the wrong side?

We are going to Malaga first on holiday but then after that we may move to Madrid but the possibility is that we are going to be able to stay in Malaga. I hope we can because we lived there before and we really liked it.

Also, to answer your question, we could leave it here with someone but how well would you have to know a person to trust them enough to do something like that for you. If something happened to the car, crash or stolen, who would be responsible? I think most people would only entrust a close relative or friend for that kind of thing right? Wouldn't you?

armabelle wrote: »
    Yes we really don't want to bring the car but we also don't want to give it away for a ridiculously low price so it is a hard choice. If you had a car that you knew was worth let's say 10 grand, would you sell it for 5 and buy a car in spain with the 5 or would you prefer driving your 10k car there with the wheel on the wrong side?

Well no, I wouldn't sell it for 5, but I would probably sell for 7.5. Guess it depends on how much time you have to wait for a decent offer. Try advertising on multiple sites with a good starting price if you are not doing so already.
    Also, to answer your question, we could leave it here with someone but how well would you have to know a person to trust them enough to do something like that for you. If something happened to the car, crash or stolen, who would be responsible? I think most people would only entrust a close relative or friend for that kind of thing right? Wouldn't you?

Yes it would have to be a close friend or relative. I guess if you don't have someone like that available then it wouldn't be an option.

Well no, I wouldn't sell it for 5, but I would probably sell for 7.5. Guess it depends on how much time you have to wait for a decent offer. Try advertising on multiple sites with a good starting price if you are not doing so already.

Yes it would have to be a close friend or relative. I guess if you don't have someone like that available then it wouldn't be an option.

Would trying to sell it in Spain for someone driving back to the UK or Ireland work? We could put it on sale right away and we are not in a hurry to sell it over there. I myself was looking to buy a car to drive to Spain in and because of the lack of availability of LHD cars I decided not to but I would have loved that option. Perhaps someone on the other side might be interested because they are moving back home or someone is going to live in Ireland for work or something (something which happens a lot nowadays really)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

https://www.milanuncios.com/kia-de-segunda-mano/kia-rio-1-2-cvvt-85cv-drive-226896967.htm

I am selling my KIA RIO 1.4 CRDI for the same price that this car is sold for in spain and it is a 1.2 only. Yes I have twice the mileage but I think those two things would even out the price.

If you are looking for the Spanish price for an Irish car in Ireland you are never going to sell it. You need to price it similar to the price on donedeal and then you'll sell it, maybe.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Kia/RIO

If you do bring it to Spain you won't get the price of a Spanish car either as the wheel will be on the wrong side and it'll be an even smaller market, why would someone pay €5k extra for a car in Spain when it's cheaper in Ireland or the UK? They could fly to Ireland or the UK and drive a car back and still save a few grand

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you are looking for the Spanish price for an Irish car in Ireland you are never going to sell it. You need to price it similar to the price on donedeal and then you'll sell it, maybe.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Kia/RIO

If you do bring it to Spain you won't get the price of a Spanish car either as the wheel will be on the wrong side and it'll be an even smaller market, why would someone pay €5k extra for a car in Spain when it's cheaper in Ireland or the UK? They could fly to Ireland or the UK and drive a car back and still save a few grand

Not sure I am with you here. I did that comparison only because I wanted to see how much difference in price there was between my car valued here and my car valued in Spain. My conclusion is that it is pretty much the same. So if I did take let's say 5k for a car worth 10k here in Ireland because I was in a rush, I wouldn't be able to get anything decent with that money in Spain. Furthermore, I thought maybe someone returning to the UK or Ireland might need a RHD car so it wouldn't be on the "wrong" side for such a buyer and yes it would be difficult to find such a buyer but I wouldn't be in a rush to sell it then which is a good thing

Not sure I am with you here. I did that comparison only because I wanted to see how much difference in price there was between my car valued here and my car valued in Spain. My conclusion is that it is pretty much the same. So if I did take let's say 5k for a car worth 10k here in Ireland because I was in a rush, I wouldn't be able to get anything decent with that money in Spain. Furthermore, I thought maybe someone returning to the UK or Ireland might need a RHD car so it wouldn't be on the "wrong" side for such a buyer and yes it would be difficult to find such a buyer but I wouldn't be in a rush to sell it then which is a good thing

What price are you looking for compared to other similar Irish cars? Also while you may think the car is worth 10k the potential buyers obviously don't or else it would have sold.

Del2005 wrote: »
    What price are you looking for compared to other similar Irish cars? Also while you may think the car is worth 10k the potential buyers obviously don't or else it would have sold.

It just takes time. I am sure if I had the luxury of being patient I could get an amount I was happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Having lived there for quite a while, owned cars (still do) over there and driven a LHD in Ireland for nearly two years I would suggest be patient and sell it here for as much as you possibly can.
    For a number of reasons..
    Getting it there, it must be fully insured, taxed and NCT. The pounds fill up regularly with non-compliant foreign cars.
    Cost of fuel to drive there, tolls, ferry, food (one night accommodation?) and time. This could easily cost well over a thousand euro when you add it all up depending on your fuel consumption and when you travel.
    Driving there. I would not recommend driving a RHD in Spain for many reasons, primarily visability. Spanish drivers tend to be quick and at times risk takers, if you pull out to overtake at the wrong moment you could be in for a nasty surprise.
    Import costs, it depends on your emissions category you could be paying up to 14.5% of the Spanish valuation of the car, plus your ITV test (NCT) which you will not pass unless your headlights (which can be very expensive) and in some cases rear light cluster, are changed and anything else that needs changing to meet Spanish regulations.
    Then your insurance in Spain will be loaded for driving RHD in Spain.
    Paperwork, Spanish love their paperwork, see one of the links below for an idea of what you will need.
    You can pay a Gestoria to do the running around with the paperwork for a couple of hundred euro if you are not adept with the language and dont mind dealing with Spanish bureaucracy.
    Otherwise, you can keep it on Irish plates for up to 150 days as long as it has current tax, nct and insurance (will your insurance cover you for long durations abroad)
    I don't think its worth it after all is said and done.

Just Landed- importing a car into Spain

Health Plan Spain -importing a car

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Having lived there for quite a while, owned cars (still do) over there and driven a LHD in Ireland for nearly two years I would suggest be patient and sell it here for as much as you possibly can.
    Getting it there, it must be fully insured, taxed and NCT. The pounds fill up regularly with non-compliant foreign cars.
    Cost of fuel to drive there, tolls, ferry, food (one night accommodation?) and time. This could easily cost well over a thousand euro when you add it all up depending on your fuel consumption and when you travel.
    Driving there. I would not recommend driving a RHD in Spain for many reasons, primarily visability. Spanish drivers tend to be quick and at times risk takers, if you pull out to overtake at the wrong moment you could be in for a nasty surprise.
    Import costs, it depends on your emissions category you could be paying up to 14.5% of the Spanish valuation of the car, plus your ITV test (NCT) which you will not pass unless your headlights (which can be very expensive) and in some cases rear light cluster, are changed and anything else that needs changing to meet Spanish regulations.
    Paperwork, Spanish love their paperwork, see one of the links below for an idea of what you will need.
    You can pay a Gestoria to do the running around with the paperwork for a couple of hundred euro if you are not adept with the language and dont mind dealing with Spanish bureaucracy.
    Otherwise, you can keep it on Irish plates for up to 150 days as long as it has current tax, nct and insurance (will your insurance cover you for long durations abroad)

Insurance is valid all over the EU for the term of the policy. You will only have the minimum level required for the country you are in after whatever allowance your company provides, so no comprehensive or fire/theft cover only 3rd party. Only issue is the OP is emigrating so that might cause issues, but if you are just taking a very long holiday you have insurance.

It just takes time. I am sure if I had the luxury of being patient I could get an amount I was happy with.

If you aren't getting any calls now you won't get them in a few weeks. When I'm looking at cars I always check how long they have been for sale and if the car has been up for a while I always assume there is an issue with it, if a car is priced correctly and in good condition it'll sell over priced or bad condition and it doesn't sell.

Looking like all the advise given is the same then OP - don't bring the car!

Certainly going by K.Flyer's informative post.

Looking like all the advise given is the same then OP - don't bring the car!

Certainly going by K.Flyer's informative post.

yeah, I can't deny it

Its diesel too. No one wants diesel at the moment. Too dirty

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »

As in..dont go there

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Its diesel too. No one wants diesel at the moment. Too dirty

not to mention silver, very out of fashion at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Just out of interest, why would the Spanish authorities care if an Irish registered vehicle was taxed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement