Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yard/site/garden for rent

Options
  • 02-06-2017 8:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭

Ive already made a post about this but the replies were not very helpful.
    I am looking for a yard/garden to store a caravan in south Dublin. As far south as sandyford and not further west then tallaght and not on the north side. It can be quite small just big enough to fit a caravan. People with garden space or sports clubs would do. i have been going about this in 3 ways. 1 posting on done deal, gumtree looking for people who would be willing to give me a site in return for rent

2 putting posters in local areas looking for people who have a bit of extra space /sports clubs with extra space with contact details.

3 personally contacting people who own land in suitable areas. for example there is a rugby club close to me with quite a bit of land which I asked the owner if i could pay him rent to house a caravan at the back. he was open to it and agreed initially for 80 a month but then other people said no in the club.

surprisingly Besides 3 unsuitable replies(due to location) i am having no luck. does anyone know anything I could do or mainly Any places I could ask.
    I dont need a lot. I probably wont need electricity. I plan to sleep in the caravan some nights but it would not be my primary residents and would only be there occasionally (once/twice every 2 weeks)

any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

shenno wrote: »
    I plan to sleep in the caravan some nights but it would not be my primary residents and would only be there occasionally (once/twice every 2 weeks)

I think I saw a documentary about this recently. Are by any chance a good-looking and brilliant accountant with a touch of Aspergers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭shenno

Lumen wrote: »
    I think I saw a documentary about this recently. Are by any chance a good-looking and brilliant accountant with a touch of Aspergers?

No?

OK, not you.

As far as I know you need planning permission even for the storage of a caravan, let along living in it.

Aside from the planning angle, who wants someone living in an unserviced caravan in their garden? It would take a lot more than €80/month.

Have you considered a halting site?

Lumen wrote: »
    OK, not you.

As far as I know you need planning permission even for the storage of a caravan, let along living in it.

Aside from the planning angle, who wants someone living in an unserviced caravan in their garden? It would take a lot more than €80/month.

Have you considered a halting site?

I know it's not desirable but surely someone out of all of Dublin with a little bit of extra land would be willing to do it.

I've seen there is a place called camac valley. It's too far away for me though. I think there could also be a place in howth.

I repeat I do not plan on living in. I would only stay there the odd bit but that does not count as me living there.

Do you really need planning permission? I'd say no one would impose this as long as it's not too close to the city.
    Halting sites are not good for me for security and other reasons

Right now I'm trying to contact a industrial site in clonskeagh but I am not having any luck.

Any ideas or people/sites for me to contact.

• Advertisement

I repeat I do not plan on living in. I would only stay there the odd bit but that does not count as me living there.
    Yes it does.
    Do you really need planning permission?
    Yes you do.

If you're in any doubt, call the council.
    I'd say no one would impose this as long as it's not too close to the city.
    Howth and Clonskeagh? This is the most expensive real estate in the country.

I know someone in Milltown whose neighbours formed a posse outside her door because she was changing the design of her front windows.

I'd say the neighbours would on the phone to the council in about 10 minutes of your caravan arriving.
    Halting sites are not good for me for security and other reasons
    That's exactly what your new neighbours will think of your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Do you already own the caravan, if not would you consider a barge or a boat?
    I don't have either just throwing the idea out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I plan to sleep in the caravan some nights but it would not be my primary residents and would only be there occasionally (once/twice every 2 weeks)
    People will assume by this that you'll be keeping it as a fcuk-pad of sorts.

Keeping it in a garden, etc, and leaving it there for a while, sure.

Keeping it in a garden with access by a stranger for random nights, hell no.

Oh, and if you leave it in someones garden, there's a chance that they'll use it.

Check with Estate Agents who have land on their portfolio, and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP there are boat storage facilities in Dublin that might take caravans. You wouldnt be able to sleep there though, not a hope they would give you a key to the yard with lots of valuable boats around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Feckofff wrote: »
    Do you already own the caravan, if not would you consider a barge or a boat?
    I don't have either just throwing the idea out there!

I'd say the chances of finding a mooring are about the same as the OP finding somewhere for his caravan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Op the reason your other threads replys 'weren't very helpful'
    Was because you don't seem to be hearing what people are saying!

The 'laws' that your ignoring have now been pointed out to you in 3 separate threads in 3 separate forums

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103265476

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102863173&postcount=12

When the accidental result of this tireless quest is born will you please name it after a boards moderator?

I think that I could do it without getting noticed. It says in the law that its for mobile homes and caravans but i think its more directed towards mobile homes. it also says that you are you can keep it for 9 months in a place before you need planning permission. so I could leave it for 9 months and then if some gets on my back ( i doubt they will depending on location. for exaample if the site is big no one of very view people will be able to see it) I can move it to somewhere else.

contacting a real estate agent is a very good idea. thanks for the helpful info syco.

the boat option seems harder to achieve.

the planning permission is the same for a tent however there are loads of people sleeping in tents who do not have planning permission

im also hearing the planning permission is for people living in the caravan as they want to know how you will deal with electricity,water waste etc I wont need these things.

ive heard there is exceptions for storage of caravans which is more of what im looking at. as i already said i will spend minimal time there as i have a house. I will just go there to get a bit of peace and quite not very often which does not count as living in it.

also there are truck drivers who spend majority of their time in their trucks more than there house. it is illegal to live in a truck. are the truck drivers breaking the law ?

and im not parking it on a public road.

them laws are mainly about parking it on a public road

"Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article."

cheers man though for the helpful info

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think that I could do it without getting noticed. It says in the law that its for mobile homes and caravans but i think its more directed towards mobile homes. it also says that you are you can keep it for 9 months in a place before you need planning permission. so I could leave it for 9 months and then if some gets on my back ( i doubt they will depending on location. for exaample if the site is big no one of very view people will be able to see it) I can move it to somewhere else.

God bless your optimism. All you need to find is a homeowner in one of your (expensive) target locations,who is prepared to risk the neighbors accusing them of operating a halting site, in return for the price of a takeaway coffee every day.

some of the sites in clonskeagh I was looking at are quite big.
    In fact one of them has no surrounding houses in view really.
    the person who owns it has not got back to me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Op - does it have to be a caravan? I think there is generally more leeway shown towards motorhomes than caravans, in regards to parking them up overnight in public spaces, that type of thing.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Op - does it have to be a caravan? I think there is generally more leeway shown towards motorhomes than caravans, in regards to parking them up overnight in public spaces, that type of thing.

It does not have to be a caravan but I thought there better as they are cheaper and bigger

Why is it better for a motor home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

OP....no offence but your off your rocker with this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

It does not have to be a caravan but I thought there better as they are cheaper and bigger

Why is it better for a motor home?

If you had a camper van couldn't you park it at your own house and just drive it somewhere when you need your peace and quiet

I probably am of the rocker but i need to find a solution.

If I park a campervan in my drive way would I not get in trouble.

Now that i think of it someone used to park their caravan in their driveway who lived close to me but that was years ago and maybe laws have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If I park a campervan in my drive way would I not get in trouble.
    And yet you want to park it in someones garden without a second thought? Seriously? Sure you can park it on your driveway. Just take the wheels of it so it doesn't go missing too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

A small camper van would be more discreet if you want to park it in a P&D area. There's a campervan on my road for the last few months. A caravan will draw more attention and look odd being in a field alone, it might draw other caravans to park beside you and I'd say it will also cost you more to haul it about if you have to move on.

what does P and D stand for?

my drive way is out on the road and is very visable.
    However other peoples Gardens would be a better option. I do not really have a back garden big enough for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

what does P and D stand for?

my drive way is out on the road and is very visable.
    However other peoples Gardens would be a better option. I do not really have a back garden big enough for this

Why don't you just get a b&b for the 'odd time' you want to get out of your house 'for about if peace and quiet'?
    You won't get anyone, for a million reasons, letting you park up in their garden, and especially not for 80 quid a month

I found a place in clontarf which would be really good except its too far away from me. so it is possible. i Just need to find some where closer.
    Its a good site aswell as its big but their are lots of trees so hardly anyone could see the caravan

Advertisement