Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Query

Options
  • 02-06-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Gents, may I ask please ...............
    When a wireless-internet connected laptop goes into "sleep" mode after some time of inactivity, is the link to the internet broken or is the laptop still connected ( to the internet) ?
    Thanks in advance for any response.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Complicated answer..

On new hardware and windows 10, there's a state called modern standby (Windows 8.1 Connected Standby) that allows applications to continue communicating, though maybe at a less frequent interval, including Windows Updates.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/integrating-apps-with-modern-standby

How old is the hardware and windows version? There's different levels of sleep supported.

Type in powercfg /a into a command windows to see what sleep states are supported on your hardware.

There might be an entry
    "
    The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
    "
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa373229(v=vs.85).aspx

On older systems the internet link is broken when the computer is in sleep mode, as the computer powers down the wifi hardware.
    Any downloads in progress will stop.

On many wifi cards, under computer management \ device manager, you can disable the default setting from "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Problem with this is that the laptop can end up powering up while in it's bag etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Cheers ressem,thank you for that!
    Seems from following the procedure outlined by you that S3 is the only available sleep state on my machine.

I'm just gonna ensure that I turn off the lappy in future when not in use. I have a habit of leaving it go to "sleep" for sometimes hours which I suspect is bad practice -- if it is still connectedto the internet during those periods it might provide an attack vector for any bad actors out there.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Advertisement