Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rigid fork

Options
  • 02-06-2017 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I'm looking to replace my suntour xcr forks with a rigid fork on my carrera kracken. Is there any where in dublin that sells them or am I'm going to have to get it online. Been searching the internet and can't find one that I'm after. It needs to be disc brake compatible and like the fork in attached photo. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/mr-ride-MOSSO-Aluminum-7005-26-27-5-29-1-1-8-Fork-MTB-Disc-Brake-Black-Red-/142375983356?hash=item21264518fc:g:i~oAAOSw7ThUirZW

I've had a pair of these on a MTB for the last couple of years.

I've never used them off road, but I have used them on gravel trails.
    They are cheap, reasonably light and strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

TBH, rigid after-market MTB forks are not a common upgrade path as most people either buy bikes with suspension forks, swap out rigid forks for suspension forks, or are replacing suspension forks. I wouldn't expect many bike shops to have rigid forks ready to walk out the door on demand; so I imagine you'd need to ask and order. If there are any LBS near Dublin that are Kona dealers, you might have a higher chance of them having straight MTB forks ready to walk out the door. Otherwise it's to the internet.

Any particular reason why you're wanting to replace suspension forks with rigid forks? Also, some details might help. For example, what size wheels does your kraken have? What steerer tube diameter do you have? Does your bike have a tapered headset? etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5CHULZY

Eamonnator wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/mr-ride-MOSSO-Aluminum-7005-26-27-5-29-1-1-8-Fork-MTB-Disc-Brake-Black-Red-/142375983356?hash=item21264518fc:g:i~oAAOSw7ThUirZW

Seen something similliar in carbon fibre from china. But not sure on Chinese imports

Lemming wrote: »
    TBH, rigid after-market MTB forks are not a common upgrade path as most people either buy bikes with suspension forks, swap out rigid forks for suspension forks, or are replacing suspension forks. I wouldn't expect many bike shops to have rigid forks ready to walk out the door on demand; so I imagine you'd need to ask and order. If there are any LBS near Dublin that are Kona dealers, you might have a higher chance of them having straight MTB forks ready to walk out the door. Otherwise it's to the internet.

Any particular reason why you're wanting to replace suspension forks with rigid forks? Also, some details might help. For example, what size wheels does your kraken have? What steerer tube diameter do you have? Does your bike have a tapered headset? etc.

My xcrs are in a bad way. Lockout cartridge is seized and not worth replacing. I don't use off road, only for commute to work so want something lighter. It's got 700c wheels on at the moment. 1 1/8 straight tube

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

5CHULZY wrote: »
    My xcrs are in a bad way. Lockout cartridge is seized and not worth replacing. I don't use off road, only for commute to work so want something lighter. It's got 700c wheels on at the moment. 1 1/8 straight tube

Right, well if you're wanting straight forks like in that picture, the first brand that springs to mind is Kona, having been known for their straight forks as far back as the 1990s; they make for lively steering. There are two Kona dealers in Dublin; Cycleways in Parnell St, and Fitz cycles on the Lower Kilmacud road, Stillorgan. Might stand a reasonable chance of either having such forks in stock, or being able to get them in short-order. Other than that, I'd suggest a trawl of the internet or try some pot luck with other LBS.

• Advertisement

Right, well if you're wanting straight forks like in that picture, the first brand that springs to mind is Kona, having been known for their straight forks as far back as the 1990s; they make for lively steering. There are two Kona dealers in Dublin; Cycleways in Parnell St, and Fitz cycles on the Lower Kilmacud road, Stillorgan. Might stand a reasonable chance of either having such forks in stock, or being able to get them in short-order. Other than that, I'd suggest a trawl of the internet or try some pot luck with other LBS.

Thanks I'll pop into cycleways tomorrow and have s look online later

Seen something similliar in carbon fibre from china. But not sure on Chinese imports

Yeah, I was the same. I took a punt with these.
    As it happens number 2 son has a pair of the same forks on a Kinesis Superlight.
    He has no problem with his either.
    Be careful with the descriptions on some of the EBay Chinese sites. Some forks are described as carbon, but are in fact alloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Eamonnator wrote: »

I use these too, highly recommended, they are bladed and very stiff so watch out for the straight ones cause some are very flexible with discs.

I also have a Mosso frame from eBay which is really well built so good kit.

Do a search on eBay for Mosso as they have various configuration options & colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I'm looking to replace my suntour xcr forks with a rigid fork on my carrera kracken. Is there any where in dublin that sells them or am I'm going to have to get it online. Been searching the internet and can't find one that I'm after. It needs to be disc brake compatible and like the fork in attached photo. Thanks

Am I misunderstanding this but can this easily be done? Will the rigid fork not be shorter by about 2 inches (allowed for suspension travel) and lower the front of the bike by this amount? You could fit a 29 fork and wheel in front (which would keep the bike level) and your bike would be a sort of 96er ?

Geometry won't be changed.
    The legs on the rigid forks are the same length as the suspension forks.
    It can be easily done. No special tools required, forks can be taken out, only tools needed are allen keys. Disc brake callipers same thing, allen key or possibly Torx key.

• Advertisement
Advertisement