Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crayfish Plague, Emergency Containment Measures

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I hope that this containment notice is effective. Unfortunately the zebra mussel notice hasn't been worth a twit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Base price wrote: »
    I hope that this containment notice is effective. Unfortunately the zebra mussel notice hasn't been worth a twit.

Our biosecurity legislation is laughable. This notice is only an advisory notice, as neither IFI, the local authorities, National Parks nor any other agency has any power to enforce a ban on water activities. Until we have an outbreak of foot-and-mouth, that is, then it's an all out ban on anything in the countryside for the sake of the farmers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I know lads who fished during the last foot and mouth outbreak.... They said it was the best fishing they ever experienced in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I know lads who fished during the last foot and mouth outbreak.... They said it was the best fishing they ever experienced in Ireland.

Yes it was a ridiculous total ban - fair enough people accessing fisheries through farmland, but people launching boats from jetties on lakes were no threat to biosecurity re foot and mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

Zzippy wrote: »
    Our biosecurity legislation is laughable. This notice is only an advisory notice, as neither IFI, the local authorities, National Parks nor any other agency has any power to enforce a ban on water activities. Until we have an outbreak of foot-and-mouth, that is, then it's an all out ban on anything in the countryside for the sake of the farmers...

Never stopped the poachers 2001 was one of their best years according to a few i know of

• Advertisement
Advertisement