Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Superintendent attending funeral during exams

Options
  • 02-06-2017 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I'm due to act as superintendent for the Junior Cert exams next week, as I have done for a number of years now.

Sadly, however, a very close relative has passed away and it looks like the funeral will take place during the exams. Has anyone ever taken leave from superintending to attend a funeral and what is the protocol to go about doing so?

It's a very stressful time without having the added stress of worrying about my superintendent duties. Thanks in advance for any information!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ring the SEC asap. Try them tomorrow and let them know what's happening. Some sections are 24 hours at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

spurious wrote: »
    Ring the SEC asap. Try them tomorrow and let them know what's happening. Some sections are 24 hours at this time of year.

Thanks for your reply.

Does anyone know if they'll let me miss one day of the exams or if I'll be forced to withdraw from the entire appointment? I'm sure situations like this happen all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Give them a call straight away. You never know, they may have have someone in reserve in your area, or they might get someone from the school to step in for the day, or swop your centre with another superintendent who finishes up earlier. The sooner you let them them know , the easier it will be to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Aquals wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Does anyone know if they'll let me miss one day of the exams or if I'll be forced to withdraw from the entire appointment? I'm sure situations like this happen all the time.

I needed to finish up a day early at the very end - was due to finish Thursday but received an appointment and no way would they accommodate me even though there is someone closing a Leaving Cert centre in the same school on the Wednesday- I had to withdraw completely. Girl I spoke with didn't quite say it outright but hinted they are so stuck for reserves they wouldn't guarantee they could get someone for the one day but would be more likely to get someone for the 8 days. So it was a complete withdrawal in my case anyway

ETA I got the feeling had I started and said nothing till a few days I'd have been accommodated. But then that to finish at the centre not to interrupt a placement to take a day off in the middle of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

It all depends on how many reserves they have in area perhaps. But swoping the centre completely could be done quite easily if there is someone finishing up a bit earlier at the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement