Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord not refunding deposit

Options
  • 03-06-2017 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Common issue I know but my problem is that I lived in landlords house and so I can't go to RTB. Is there another organisation I can go to? I have a solid case but I'd like to avoid hassle of going to a lawyer

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Common issue I know but my problem is that I lived in landlords house and so I can't go to RTB. Is there another organisation I can go to? I have a solid case but I'd like to avoid hassle of going to a lawyer

Cheers

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/PageCurrent/A9C6E93D70127EF38025810D0034EAD6?opendocument&l=en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Are you still in the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

On what grounds are they withholding deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cfzaptefg61

Browney7 wrote: »
    Are you still in the property?
    No

On what grounds are they withholding deposit?

No idea. He said he would when I was leaving but never did and won't answer his phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

No

Realistically you shouldn't have left without the deposit. Out of sight out of mind. I'd pay him a visit and insist on him returning it there and then. Maybe bring a few friends. You do know where he lives after all.

Small claims court then if he refuses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You have to be practical and pragmatic here. I'd be waiting at the landlords gate with the paw out.

Money. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As above small claims court. Assume you have the likes of receipts, documentation outlining you were leasing from the homeowner etc. Sounds like you do if you think you have a strong case.

Definitely one of the pitfalls of leasing, **** all systematic support.

I know what I'd be doing in this situation, but considering you've come to a forum to ask I guess your not that type of person so small claims court the way to go. Small fee, from my own experience not as daunting as an experience you would expect, but just really make sure you have your documentation and stuff in order.

anyone know how long it typically takes the small claims people to get back to you once you've set up case online?
    davindub wrote: »

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

TheDoc wrote: »
    Definitely one of the pitfalls of leasing, **** all systematic support.

Is the existence of a court for small claims not a systematic support? After previously dealing with the RTB I think direct access to courts is a preferable scenario.

• Advertisement
Advertisement