Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bicycle puncture repair

Options
  • 03-06-2017 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

has anyone came across this problem
    got a puncture yesterday had plenty of patches but only enough
    solution for one repair two repair kits no solution looking for large tube of same
    anyone know where i might find?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Pick up one of the park tool patch kits they're very handy when out on the bike. Also carry a second tube, tape it to the frame or up under the saddle if you don't have anywhere to carry it.

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Park-Tool/GP2-Super-Patch-Kit/RH?&co=IRL&cu=EUR&glCountry=IE&gclid=CjwKEAjwvMnJBRCO2NSu-Puc6AUSJAAf-OSU4cDBSPHc_lPnLHR-2VNFVd6cIbT-6lvs0G--EP0vaRoCnZbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Also if you have a shortage of solution, and an excess of patches, pick up one or two of the Rema Tip Top repair kits - generally have at least half the tube of solution left over from the kit when all the patches are gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

This doesn't answer your question, but you might like to consider it. After getting a puncture on a long commute, I got tyres with thicker rubber (Schwalbe Marathon Plus) so that small sharp things don't penetrate through to the inner tube. The downside is extra weight. I haven't had a puncture since switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

d.kevin36 wrote: »
    has anyone came across this problem
    got a puncture yesterday had plenty of patches but only enough
    solution for one repair two repair kits no solution looking for large tube of same
    anyone know where i might find?
    You may be using too much solution - only a very small amount is required.

As has been said, bring a couple of spare tubes on a ride. I only resort patches if I get more than two punctures.

(If you buy the tubes in bulk they work out at only a few Euros each and probably cheaper than buying repair kits).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

I always carry 2 tubes....one in saddle pouch anf one in jersey. Both wrapped in tape to keep together if wet. Messing with patches seems a lot of work!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Masala wrote: »
    ... Both wrapped in tape to keep together if wet...
    I use cling film - does a great job of keeping them neat and tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

I use cling film - does a great job of keeping them neat and tidy.

Good tip!!!! Will dump the tape next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I bought a large-ish tube of vulcanising solution (15g) for €3.95 in a local shop. Might have been in Joe Daly's. I bought a roll of patch material from Dara in Bee Cycles, and I cut out my own patches. They don't look as nice, as they have no feathering at the edge, but they work fine. So you can get a superfluity of patching materials for less than €10. Enough for years and years (except that the solution eventually dries out).

I am an incorrigible skinflint.

Advertisement