Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touring Newbie

Options
  • 03-06-2017 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations on lightweight tent, sleeping bag, mattress, groundsheet, etc?

I prefer a 3 man tent because I am tall and like space in a tent and also there's room to bring everything "indoors".

I'm into short trips ( 1-3 nights at a time) rather than round the world :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Good online store, deep pockets..... :)
    https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/

Everything you'll need and get ideas from in above stores.

Lidl and Aldi also occasionally do stuff, nice n cheap :)

Actually saw some stuff in the Aldi book that came with todays paper, tents etc didn't actually pay much attention to it so no idea what quality is like etc.

Could be worth a look OP

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I got a thermarest neoair trekker mattress . Pricey but it was the difference between a great nights sleep and waking up a good few times on one of those thin foam mats . Packs down very small.

For a sleeping bag I got a €20 vango 1 season job . I pack thermal underwear when i think the sleeping bag alone wont be enough .

I picked up a never used second hand 2 man tent on adverts for €30 , weighs around 2.8 kg , Gelert EIger 2 , packs down to about the size of a bread loaf . im 6 foot 2 and its spacey enough for me .

Best move I ever made for touring was getting a front rack and panniers for it . It spreads the weight about the bike evenly so that its much more balanced to ride and the front wheel doesn't have that urge to come up on steep climbs .Even if I was only going for 1 night I'd pack the 4 panniers rather than just the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am looking at self inflating mats at the moment.

They seem to come in 5, 7.5 and 10cm depths.

Which would you need for camping and perhaps to lie on a wood floor?

I would imagine the 10cm would be too bulky for touring.

Advertisement