Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new direct report to be paid €20k more than me

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pterosaur

If your going to be their manager you should be on €20k more, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

My job spec currently dictates that I will be responsible for direct reports, it just so happens that we haven't had any until now. So it's not a new responsibility per my job description.

I guess another thing I find odd is that the role is being advertised as "reporting into the role X". I am not the role X - we don't actually have one. He's the other guy who was on the team who left. It's just me now. But there are no plans to promote me to role X, not for another year at least.

did they actually say you'd be promoted into role X within the next year?

if your job spec says you will be responsible for direct reports it seems company have covered themselves although its a pretty shoddy thing to pay new person €20k more especially if you are expected to do training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

This sounds stupid but are you sure the new person isn't just reporting into you to start with and that their not taking the manager role eventually?
    It's not showing much faith that you didn't get promoted....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

This is typical of financial services at the minute. I was in a similar situation last year where people with less experience were being brought in at same level as me but on 15k+ more and who weren't performing at near the same level as me.

I asked for payrise, would have been happy to settle for an extra 8k....but no go. They have a policy where they'll pay decent salaries for external candidates but won't give a cent to existing staff as they're "cutting costs". No logic to it.

I ended up applying for a role with a competitive and got offered 30k extra.....it was a tough decision to leave but I couldn't ignore that kind of offer.

In since start of year and love it....no regrets

Advertisement