Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital bill??

• 03-06-2017 1:55pm

Ok so when I was 17 ( 20 now ) I went to hospital and my medical card was up at the time, I just received an invoice for 150€ for it just there. They wanted to talk to my dad but he recently past away so they still want me to pay, will I have to pay it as I was Underage at the time and was my dads bill technically, ( has my name on it but says parents of: my name) speaking now that he past would that bill not go away like loans or anything like that. 150€ isn't much but it's a lot for me now as we got to pay the rent for the house we were in which my dad was paying until he past. Thanks again.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If you'd gone to doc first and got referral to hospital it wouldn't have cost you 150, instead you clog up ER.pay the bill .

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If you'd gone to doc first and got referral to hospital it wouldn't have cost you 150, instead you clog up ER.pay the bill .

But i did get an referral?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

But i did get an referral?

Contact doc get copy of referral send it with bill back in. You don't pay the 150 if you have a referral for er from doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Did you stay in hospital for a few days. €150would be the charge for 2 days as an inpatient?

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Did you stay in hospital for a few days. €150would be the charge for 2 days as an inpatient?

I really forget was more than 2 years ago, but the question is Legally speaking would I have to pay the bill even tho it's in my dads name and he's past?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I really forget was more than 2 years ago, but the question is Legally speaking would I have to pay the bill even tho it's in my dads name and he's past?

Well you'll be chased for it. You can ring up and argue that the billee is now deceased.

But morally shouldn't you pay it?

Well you'll be chased for it. You can ring up and argue that the billee is now deceased.

But morally shouldn't you pay it?

Morally I was 17 still in school? Morally shouldn't they wipe out the bill as it is my dads bill who is deceased, also there a debt collector not the HSE. A private business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Unfortunately moral's don't tend to matter much even when someone passes. Your dad's estate would still be liable for the debt, unless his estate did not have the fund's to cover the bill. I know it get's thrown around that when you die, so do your debt's, but they dont. They pass onto the estate/administrator and it's then their job to clear the debt if there is enough money there to do it. It's only when there's nothing there that the debtor's dont get paid.

Some may say just forget about it throw it in the bin/nothing will come of it but to be honest the easiest way to sort this is engage with them, after all you did receive the service that they provided. If probate was granted for your father, then direct the letter to whoever administered the estate/solicitor and let them deal with it. I know the amount is small but you could also set up a payment plan and pay X amount when you can which will keep them happy.

5500 wrote: »
    Unfortunately moral's don't tend to matter much even when someone passes. Your dad's estate would still be liable for the debt, unless his estate did not have the fund's to cover the bill. I know it get's thrown around that when you die, so do your debt's, but they dont. They pass onto the estate/administrator and it's then their job to clear the debt if there is enough money there to do it. It's only when there's nothing there that the debtor's dont get paid.

Some may say just forget about it throw it in the bin/nothing will come of it but to be honest the easiest way to sort this is engage with them, after all you did receive the service that they provided. If probate was granted for your father, then direct the letter to whoever administered the estate/solicitor and let them deal with it. I know the amount is small but you could also set up a payment plan and pay X amount when you can which will keep them happy.

Would anything happen if I did not pay ? Thanks for the reply was very helpful 👌ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Would anything happen if I did not pay ? Thanks for the reply was very helpful 👌ðŸ»

I think they pass them on to debt collectors.

• Advertisement

I think they pass them on to debt collectors.

It's already past on to a debt collector?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It's already past on to a debt collector?

Sorry, missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

legally they can take it to court to recover the amount plus costs, depending on who was administering your father's estate it could eventually fall back on them. It's anyone's guess if they would take it that far, although the letters aren't likely to stop from the debt collection agency in the meantime especially if they do not know your father has passed.

You could tell them that he has passed, and they may request a copy of the death cert and then leave it at that and not chase it up, but again it depends on the collection agency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

They'll put your inflamed appendix back in lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Pay the bill. And pay it fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

judeboy101 wrote: »

So if OP was having a heart attack he should have gone to his GP to get a referral. Will you cop on to yourself and BTW apendicitis is a medical emergency.

Secondly they are called A&E or ED over here not your Americanized ER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Pay Nothing.

You were 17. Don't worry about debt collectors, throw the letters in the bin they will soon stop coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ah come on ... he's only a young lad and he's lost his dad, bit of respect for the deceased wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

The thing is, you should or rather your father's estate, should pay it, as you have said that he did avail of the service.

However, no one is going to take you to court for 150 bucks. If it's a debt collector asking for payment, ignore them, they have no more power than I do in asking for payment. They will pass it back to the hospital where it will be filed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Firstly I am sorry to hear of your father's passing. It must be a difficult time for you.

Can I ask, why did it take the bill so long to arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 robertsulli

Ok so when I was 17 ( 20 now ) I went to hospital and my medical card was up at the time, I just received an invoice for 150€ for it just there. They wanted to talk to my dad but he recently past away so they still want me to pay, will I have to pay it as I was Underage at the time and was my dads bill technically, ( has my name on it but says parents of: my name) speaking now that he past would that bill not go away like loans or anything like that. 150€ isn't much but it's a lot for me now as we got to pay the rent for the house we were in which my dad was paying until he past. Thanks again.

Hope ok to post here

Hi there, I recently went to a consultant and was sent for testing overnight in hospital. To my stupidity I did not check with my insurance if it covered this, it does not cover due to the gap between my previous and current insurance. The bill is €813 for an overnight which I cannot afford. I am not entitled to medical card etc and living with parents. Can the hospital reduce this amount and negiotate this? Or have I no option but to wait for a debt collector. Any advice would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 10 robertsulli

OSI wrote: »
    Your only bet is to engage with the hospital now. They might be willing to reduce the fee if you're paying cash as a private patient, but technically you availed of the services as a private patient so you're liable for the costs.

Thanks a mill. I’ve emailed the finance dept as soon as got letter today and will follow up with a phone call tomorrow afternoon. Lesson learned here for not (stupidly) checking insurance policy beforehand.

Advertisement