Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed control fabric for pots ?

Options
  • 03-06-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

A risk of sounding incredibly lazy I was wondering if I could maybe put down weed control fabric on top of soil in garden pots?
    We have a few pots in our garden that seem to get riddled with weeds every few weeks. One is a Japanesse Maple that is in a small enough pot already and I feel sorry for it having to share any nutrients left in the soil.

Could I buy that weed control fabric, cut it and place it over the soil and still have what's in the pot get sufficient water or would I be damaging the plants I want to grow?
    If it wouldn't work is there any alternative that's similarly low maintenance for someone not well right now?

Sorry if that's a stupid question, I know nothing about gardening, I only heard this fabric exists today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well you could, though there is something come on the market recently which might be better, its a kind of duvet made for pots - a kind of hair looking material pressed into shape. Alternatively you could put a layer of small pebbles on the surface. Either way you are going to get some weeds still coming up round the edges and round the stalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

looksee wrote: »
    Well you could, though there is something come on the market recently which might be better, its a kind of duvet made for pots - a kind of hair looking material pressed into shape. Alternatively you could put a layer of small pebbles on the surface. Either way you are going to get some weeds still coming up round the edges and round the stalk.

Thanks a million Looksee. Would you happen to know what the pot duve stuff is called? I'm googling but not finding it. The pebbles are a good idea too. Thanks a million.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry I don't know, I just happened to see them in a garden centre. Just checked and they seem to be called coir weed mats, I couldnt find any in Ireland though.

Advertisement