Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can trading cryptocurrency affect mortgage application status

Options
  • 03-06-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question and maybe it's obvious but I want to check.
    Can trading in Cryptocurrencies be seen as something negative when making a mortgage application?

I had a look but found only sparce mentions of it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would say yes, it would be a big risk and on the same level as consistent online betting through a PP account linked to your bank card.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

stick-dan wrote: »
    Hi,

Quick question and maybe it's obvious but I want to check.
    Can trading in Cryptocurrencies be seen as something negative when making a mortgage application?

I had a look but found only sparce mentions of it.

Thanks in advance.

I would be creative, I just said I was buying bicycle parts on eBay.

Now if your pushing around 100k then they might not believe you.

Their is a proposal to tax income from trading the same as fx, just something to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Having extra disposal income to buy bitcoin probably wouldn't...but that's just a guess.
    You'd need to ask an underwriter

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭JP 1800

I would not think it should be a problem, it is basically investing, the same as commodities, like gold and silver the value may go up or down. I invested in some classic cars and then sold them on when the time came to applying for a mortgage, the only thing I has to furnish was receipts from the buyers along with screenshots of the ads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Feckofff wrote: »
    Their is a proposal to tax income from trading the same as fx, just something to be aware of.

Interesting have you got a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

davindub wrote: »
    Interesting have you got a link?

Sorry no link,

I heard it from someone working in the banking industry who is working on blockchains.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

Is there any more comments on this or does anyone have experience?

I would think that buying cryptocurrency should be okay because you're just holding your money in a different currency. It could be EUR, USD, GBP, AUD, etc.

I think day trading would be considered risky since it's essentially gambling.

So to make the OP's question more specific. Will buying BTC, LTC, ETH (but not trading it) have a negative effect on a mortgage application even if you're saving enough money (in traditional EUR savings accounts) every month to pay mortgage repayments?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

The last time I applied for a mortgage (2012) none of our investments (stock portfolio), regular work bonuses were considered as part of the application.

However, in most circles Bitcoin is seems as a high risk investment and may actually be seen as a negative .... but most definitely won’t be taken as a positive

Advertisement