Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TransAm 2017

Options
  • 03-06-2017 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭

Dot watchers of the world rejoice Transam 2017 is up and running

https://transambikerace.com/

After the horrible tragic end to Indypac hopefully everyone will make it home safely, personally I'll be rooting for Jose Bermudez as he tries to complete the triple of RAAM, Tour Divide and TransAm, my daughter crewed for him on RAAM and can't speak highly enough of him.

Live tracking here

http://trackleaders.com/transam17f.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I have my doubts about this form of racing after what happened to Mike Hall in Australia. There should be mandatory rest/sleep periods in my opinion. Otherwise it's just reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

LennoxR wrote: »
    I have my doubts about this form of racing after what happened to Mike Hall in Australia. There should be mandatory rest/sleep periods in my opinion. Otherwise it's just reckless.

Does the TransAm follow the same completely unsupported format the Australian race did? The RAI and the RAAM I have no issue with as the support teams and cars add a huge amount of safety, the unsupported races though are clearly dangerous with people riding on the edge of exhaustion, often hallucinating which clearly adds huge personal risk.

From their site
    For the Trans Am, the rules are simple, race the Adventure Cycling Association‘s TransAmerica Trail under your own power, self supported. This means no outside assistance, no support cars, and NO DRAFTING

From their rules
    Once a race clock begins, a rider may be assisted by a third party in receiving emergency repair/replacement items only. Food resupply is not considered an emergency

I think with something like that , there are some competitive types out their that simply cannot be trusted to look after themselves properly doing something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

That looks amazing and insane at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

LennoxR wrote: »
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Does the TransAm follow the same completely unsupported format the Australian race did? The RAI and the RAAM I have no issue with as the support teams and cars add a huge amount of safety, the unsupported races though are clearly dangerous with people riding on the edge of exhaustion, often hallucinating which clearly adds huge personal risk.
    From their site

From their rules

I think with something like that , there are some competitive types out their that simply cannot be trusted to look after themselves properly doing something like this.

It is a big worry alright, down the field the riders do seem to take "reasonable" breaks but the lads and ladies at the pointy end are pushing the outside of the envelope. Route selection is very important here too, Indypac had the riders go through the centre of all Australia's big South Eastern cities which with the benefit of hindsight, while it was great for the profile of the event, was putting tired (to put it mildly) riders into a high risk situation.

To get back to TransAM, the leaders are at the 350 mile mark (can't seem to get trackleaders to show kms instead) after 24 hours with Ireland's Donnach Cuttriss lying in second place, early days yet though.

• Advertisement

Very sad to report that Eric Fishbein a competitor in TransAm was struck by a vehicle and killed in Kansas today.

RIP Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

nilhg wrote: »
    Very sad to report that Eric Fishbein a competitor in TransAm was struck by a vehicle and killed in Kansas today.

RIP Eric

Sad to hear another life lost on one of these races.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

There should be a compulsory period 4/6 hours off the bike for these races, easily monitored by the GPS tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

nilhg wrote: »

RIP Eric

First of all RIP to that man and condolences to his family. But why were lessons not learned after Australia? This type of racing needs to change if it's going to be safe.

Evan Deutsch is the first finisher with some impressive stats

Route average speed 16.2km/hr
    Route distance per day 392kmi
    Moving Time 13:12:29
    Stopped Time 3:21:32
    Moving Average Speed 21km/hr

Riders still strung out all the way back to the Rockies

• Advertisement
Advertisement