Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Final | Juventus V Real Madrid KO 19:45

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

They won the league this year...

Yea of course, first in six years of something? If their last four seasons in the CL are being cited in the argument for their greatness, then the last four years domestically should also be considered.
    kona wrote: »
    Hard to dominate any league that contains a barcelona team with messi.
    Thats before you mention athletico.

It is hard, but this is the best of all time w're discussing; it's meant to be hard. Messi and Barca dominated in a league with a Real side with Ronaldo.

A great achievement by Real, but I wouldn't have this side up there with Barca under Guadiola or Milan in the early 90s etc. or even Juve of the mid 90s, where they reached 3 finals in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The level reached by Ronaldo in the last couple of months is likely never to be seen again. The greatest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The greatest club of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

astradave wrote: »
    He definitely tried to catch him when he was walking by, the angle is bad but you can still see the intent..

https://streamable.com/c0614

He stood on him alright but stamp sounds worse. He was stupid alright in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Fair points. I suppose doing something no-one has done in 2 decades and retaining the champions league will get people talking about legacy and greatness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That may well be Ronaldo's best performance in a final.

No pissing about this time. He made that his.

The first was going straight at Buffon before the deflection, but it's an incredibly difficult shot and you'll get lucky now and again.
    The 2nd was beutiful football.

Juventus were made to look like the shower of geriatrics they are. They were totally gassed on 60.

Thought Dybala looked a bit overawed. Some good performances by Juve for 60 odd minutes but they just didn't have enough in the tank.

Completely deserved for Madrid.
    Even with the mild deflection on the first and the huge one on the 2nd, they looked like the only winners in the 2nd half. The 2nd and 3rd goals were only a matter of time.

Ramos being a fanny soured things a bit but it Juve didn't offer anything so I don't have much sympathy.

Higuain looked 2 stone overweight and was broadly speaking useless in both halves.
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Three Champions League titles in four years is an absolutely stellar accomplishment. We won't see that again for decades.

Well they've probably got the tools for another one or 2 in the next 3 years.
    Even if he starts slowing down in the league a bit, Ronaldo will probably continue to be a lethal player in the business end of cup competitions for another 5 years.

Ronaldo is comfortably the best athlete to ever play the game. He does not look anything like 32. He's right up there in terms of the most effective players of all time as well. He's like some sort of cyborg.
    If Messi was just a bit of a fancy Dan, who turns up only half the time, Ronaldo would have him beat on sheer numbers.
    Numbers aren't the only thing though. Zidane was never pariticularly effective but he's considered a legend of the game.
    Messi, of course, outstrips Ronaldo in numbers, and does it with more style and skill. It's just Ronaldo's **** luck he has to play at the same time as the greatest player to ever play the game. Otherwise he'd certainly be the best of his generation and in with a shout for the greatest ever.

Real have in general been the best team in the world for the past 8 years.
    They don't quite have the stupid level of quality that you get from Messi/Suarez/Neymar but that aside, as an 11 nobody comes close. Even more significantly, as an 18 nobody comes close.
    They spent the bones of €200m on Bale and Rodriguez even before the latest ridiculous surge in spending, they're brilliant players and they had no impact on the game.

At times the club has been a shambles, which partly explains the relatively poor return in leagues, but when someone gets their **** together for them, it's not surprising that they go and win things. They're a ridiculously good team. Cheating on FM level of good.

niallo27 wrote: »
    He stood on him alright but stamp sounds worse. He was stupid alright in fairness.

Lol....are you honestly now trying to argue semantics...

Firstly Ramos was disgustingly over the top
    then there was no stamp
    Now he "stood on him"
    But let's not call it a stamp.

IT'S A STAMP.. It's an intentional movement towards injuring a player.

HE 100% DESERVED a straight red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Come on there was no stamp. You can at least admit that. Do you really think that should have been a straight red.

It wasn't a straight red though was it? Second yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Gbear wrote: »
    That may well be Ronaldo's best performance in a final.

No pissing about this time. He made that his.

Was he your motm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I did, all I changed was bias instead of boss. Post is as was other wise. Hopefully a mod will verify and put your mind at ease.

that's a lie and you know it. I had read what you posted. It was about others being biased and you not being biased.
    Then you edited it to both being biased.
    Does that ring a bell?

Anyway, I'm out. You can have yer weird wee arguments with someone else.
    Enjoy yer night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

LiamoSail wrote: »
    A great achievement by Real, but I wouldn't have this side up there with Barca under Guadiola or Milan in the early 90s etc. or even Juve of the mid 90s, where they reached 3 finals in a row

Id love to see barca 2009/2010 v this real team with ronaldo.
    Perhaps you may be have a point on the team, but theres no denying ronaldo place as the best in the world. He is the main reason that real have won la liga,x2 european cups, a world club and practically single handedly ( and in the final one legged) dragged portugal to a european championship.

Incredible player, insane amount of goals.

The greatest player of all time sharing a family moment after leading his team to glory. Again. Induces goosebumps.

Drink it in boys. We are witnessing a legend.

Eeeuw. In who?

adox wrote: »
    It wasn't a straight red though was it? Second yellow.

I know but the poster claimed it should have been a red.

Have to give huge credit to Zidane. His second season in management and he's surpassed anything his recent predecessors, many of whom were world class managers, achieved at Real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Delighted for Gail Platt. She ran the show alongside Casemiro and Kroos.
    Is Kroos on the way out?

• Advertisement

that's a lie and you know it. I had read what you posted. It was about others being biased and you not being biased.
    Then you edited it to both being biased.
    Does that ring a bell?

Anyway, I'm out. You can have yer weird wee arguments with someone else.
    Enjoy yer night.

Are you actually on crack cocaine? Please report the post any mod on here can check what was edited.

The ONLY word edited was boss to bias. I'll deactivate my account if otherwise.

Honestly where do you come up with this stuff

Here is the original..it still mentions others bias...i think you've had a few too many

You know why, I don't need to spell it out and I don't go into it here.

My bias is as bad as yours, thankfully I don't try and hide behind posts claiming neutrality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah ok fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Back to back champions leagues for Zidane. Not bad.

It could have and would have in most instances.but sure look you've gone from show playing to no contact to okay he stood on him but....

Want a shovel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Ronaldo is a very good footballer but he doesn't do enough in the big games. If you ignore his first goal then he only scored the third one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Was he your motm?

Two huge goals in a game like that - it's hard to say no.

At the same time, those were only two moments. Two touches of the ball.

He was good other than that, but in the minute to minute, you'd have to give a load of credit to the likes of Marcello, Modric, Kroos, Benzema and Casemiro who were all persistently excellent.

Another thing was the discipline shown by Carvajal and Ramos. Being on bookings, and with this ref seemingly determing cards by coin toss, it would've been very easy for one of them to get sent off.

Madrid were excellent front to back. Ronaldo with get the plaudits and he should but that was a brilliant dominant team performance and other than the first 20 minutes, they bossed it, really.

I don't really like Real and I didn't think much of the previous two CL wins but there was absolutely no argument tonight. They were streets ahead.

Id love to see barca 2009/2010 v this real team with ronaldo.
    Perhaps you may be have a point on the team, but theres no denying ronaldo place as the best in the world. He is the main reason that real have won la liga,x2 european cups, a world club and practically single handedly ( and in the final one legged) dragged portugal to a european championship.

Incredible player, insane amount of goals.

Agree about Ronaldo of course, the guy's a machine. Has earned his place in history. I wouldn't credit him with solely dragging Portugal through that final though, didn't he only play the first half hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The greatest player of all time sharing a family moment after leading his team to glory. Again. Induces goosebumps.

Drink it in boys. We are witnessing a legend.

Jesus, lighten up, I think you are missing the tongue in cheek humour of the post! FWIW, I love Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Agree about Ronaldo of course, the guy's a machine. Has earned his place in history. I wouldn't credit him with solely dragging Portugal through that final though, didn't he only play the first half hour?

He dragged them to the final though.

Are you actually on crack cocaine? Please report the post any mod on here can check what was edited.

The ONLY word edited was boss to bias. I'll deactivate my account if otherwise.

Honestly where do you come up with this stuff

God almighty. I read it. And cut the aggression.

You're actually delusion. Can any mod please repost my original just so this ridiculous post can be shown up for what it is.

You're actually like my wife where she swears shes said the opposite of what shes said. She's most often wrong too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Paleblood wrote: »
    Ronaldo is a very good footballer but he doesn't do enough in the big games. If you ignore his first goal then he only scored the third one.

Why would you ignore his First one? because of the deflection? he still has to make the pass to Carvajal and make the run to get into that position to get onto the pass back.

Edit: Think i missed the sarcasm :pac:

It could have and would have in most instances.but sure look you've gone from show playing to no contact to okay he stood on him but....

Want a shovel?

I never said there was no contact. If that's a red card though we might as well give up. Do you think Ramos slightly overreacted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I read it too.. and you're wrong

astradave wrote: »
    I read it too.. and you're wrong

Allejuaha, but sure look i don't expect him on here again.

You would actually have to wonder how the human brain can derive fictitious posts on a n internet forum. And them be so adamant about it too. Baffling.

But watch this space, you're now part of the conspiracy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Have to laugh at the chap on here who said Ronaldo wouldn't score again in the Champions League from the Quarter Finals onwards.

10 goals in 5 games :pac:

Talk about your all time terrible predictions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

There has been a couple of "big games" en route to the final and I seem to recall him "doing enough" in them.

Actually, no, I am not playing the "Ronaldo doesn't step up in big games" game!

He got them into the final, went off injured and spent the game hobbling around the sidelines encouraging the team on.
    It was one of those times where you can see just the pure desire to win in somebody. I think that win made the most To him out of all the things hes won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Next seasons Champions League starts in 24 days.

I never said there was no contact. If that's a red card though we might as well give up. Do you think Ramos slightly overreacted

Of course he did...ive said he did about 5 pages back. I also said it was NO different to what Sami Khederia and the scream heard round the world did yo get Kroos booked when he stepped on his toe. Which funnily enough didn't get the same reaction on here.

Football is football and anyone who feels contact is likely to go down like that these days.

The point however remains, it is a stamp. It's an intentional movement towards a player off the ball to what one can only assume is to injure...

It's a red.. Intent is intent.

He got a yellow, which thankfully was enough to see him off.

NIMAN wrote: »
    He dragged them to the final though.

I'm chatting about the final

Where did that fella one of shanks go?

Posters beware!!!! His replies may not be consistent with the post read...he may add some stuff to what you've said.

Of course he did...ive said he did about 5 pages back. I also said it was NO different to what Sami Khederia and the scream heard round the world did yo get Kroos booked when he stepped on his toe. Which funnily enough didn't get the same reaction on here.

Football is football and anyone who feels contact is likely to go down like that these days.

The point however remains, it is a stamp. It's an intentional movement towards a player off the ball to what one can only assume is to injure...

It's a red.. Intent is intent.

He got a yellow, which thankfully was enough to see him off.

So kroos stepped on his toe but the Juve lad stamped. Do you think kroos should have been sent off.

He got them into the final, went off injured and spent the game hobbling around the sidelines encouraging the team on.
    It was one of those times where you can see just the pure desire to win in somebody. I think that win made the most To him out of all the things hes won.

The players on the pitch won the final, not Ronaldo's encourage,net from the sideline.

It's irrelevant anyway. I'm in agreement with you on Ronaldo, I just disputed the point about him single handedly dragging Portugal through the final, or however it was phrased

• Advertisement

Where did that fella one of shanks go?

Posters beware!!!! His replies may not be consistent with the post read...he may add some stuff to what you've said.

I presume your hammered. Time to put the phone down I think.

Ronaldo was taken off in the 25th minute. You're not giving that team enough credit.

There has been a couple of "big games" en route to the final and I seem to recall him "doing enough" in them.

Actually, no, I am not playing the "Ronaldo doesn't step up in big games" game!

Shirley you can't be serious?

Another ronaldo stat.

First player to score in three separate champions league finals.

You're actually delusion. Can any mod please repost my original just so this ridiculous post can be shown up for what it is.

You're actually like my wife where she swears shes said the opposite of what shes said. She's most often wrong too

Jesus. Look, you said one thing and then edited it and you have obviously forgotten what you originally said and now I'm apparently on crack cocaine and sound like your wife (bit harsh on yer wife by the way) for calling you on it.

So yeah if theres a Mod who's capable or bloody arsed checking what you originally said then great.
    If not then who gives a ****e. It wasnt even that bad a comment anyway which is what makes this so surreal.

So what I'm gonna do now is leave ya to it and bugger off coz quite frankly we could go round in circles all night and we're probably annoying people reading the thread anyway.
    So good night.

So kroos stepped on his toe but the Juve lad stamped. Do you think kroos should have been sent off.

I know you like to try and move the goal posts so I'll break it down for you.

Kroos was momentarily late in an attempt to win the ball.

Caudrado intentionally moved toward a player off the ball about 5 or so seconds after the play had stopped when bith men were on their feet in an aggressive manner.

If you can't see the difference then you're just being blissfully ignorant for the sake of it

• Advertisement

Jesus. Look, you said one thing and then edited it and you have obviously forgotten what you originally said and now I'm apparently on crack cocaine and sound like your wife (bit harsh on yer wife by the way) for calling you on it.

So yeah if theres a Mod who's capable or bloody arsed checking what you originally said then great.
    If not then who gives a ****e. It wasnt even that bad a comment anyway which is what makes this so surreal.

So what I'm gonna do now is leave ya to it and bugger off coz quite frankly we could go round in circles all night and we're probably annoying people reading the thread anyway.
    So good night.

Did you not see the other poster who's since stated he read it too and you're also wrong.

This isn't a conspiracy mate, your mind is actually playing tricks.

Good night

Ronaldo was taken off in the 25th minute. You're not giving that team enough credit.

They did well but it was a smash and grab. France should have won the game.
    Your right tho , the team played the rest of the game and extra time and won, ronaldo didnt.

The Brazilian Ronaldo was better. He had good skills and he was Brazilian.

They did well but it was a smash and grab. France should have won the game.
    Your right tho , the team played the rest of the game and extra time and won, ronaldo didnt.

My abiding memory of the final is of Ronaldo on the side line, willing the team on to victory. If there's such a thing as a 'twelfth man' then he was it.

My abiding memory of the final is of Ronaldo on the side line, willing the team on to victory. If there's such a thing as a 'twelfth man' then he was it.

FFS, where do you even start with this? My abiding memory of the last super Bowl was the patriots cheerleaders, I wouldn't be crediting them with the win though

• Advertisement
Advertisement