Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disused Panic Button Advice

Options
  • 03-06-2017 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I just moved into a house with an aritech alarm system with a broken keypad. There are a number of disused panic buttons around the house. We are renovating and will be getting the alarm updated but in the mean time, would it be safe to snip the wires leading to the defunct panic buttons and push them back into the wall so I can start plastering the walls?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I just moved into a house with an aritech alarm system with a broken keypad. There are a number of disused panic buttons around the house. We are renovating and will be getting the alarm updated but in the mean time, would it be safe to snip the wires leading to the defunct panic buttons and push them back into the wall so I can start plastering the walls?

This may have impact downstream sensors. I would be reluctant to get rid of alarm cables without fully understanding the consequences. It would be best to get a professional alarm installer to check it out first.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree with 2011 , without knowing what they are for you may want to use them again. Unless ofcourse the wiring is in a bad way & you have already decided it will be replaced or you will be going with wireless.
    You say the keypad is broken. Is the system powered down.You could also have a case when you activate the bells & have no keypad to turn them off.

Advertisement