Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you translate this for me please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Níl fírinne dá laghad ann

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Níl fírinne dá laghad ann

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Níl braon den fhírinne ann.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Could you translate this phrase for me into Irish? I am struggling to.

There isn't so much as an ounce of truth in that

Níl smid den fhírinne sa mhéid sin.
    Tá sin bréagach go hiomlán.

"Ag glúin"

If you need the context, well here's the sentence:

"Maítear freisin go mbíonn deacrachtaí ag glúin seo an Idirlín labhairt go pearsanta le daoine"

It also says that these "ag glúin" difficulties on the Internet are spoken personally with people. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Ag glúin"

If you need the context, well here's the sentence:

"Maítear freisin go mbíonn deacrachtaí ag glúin seo an Idirlín labhairt go pearsanta le daoine"

It also says that these "ag glúin" difficulties on the Internet are spoken personally with people. :confused:

"Ag glúin seo an Idirlín" = with this generation of the Internet ('the Internet Generation')

Glúin = generation of people

It's suggested here that they have difficulties speaking personally with other people.

Conas a chuaigh an dán seo i bhfeidhm ort?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Conas a chuaigh an dán seo i bhfeidhm ort?

How did this poem affect you?

How did you feel/react when you read it, etc.

How did this poem affect you?

How did you feel/react when you read it, etc.

Go raibh míle maith agat!

Caithfear a admháil gan aon bhfuil an-tábhacht go deo ag baint leis an nGaeilge don tír seo

One must admit what?

• Advertisement

Caithfear a admháil gan aon bhfuil an-tábhacht go deo ag baint leis an nGaeilge don tír seo

One must admit what?

It looks like you're missing a few words there. There's something missing between "gan aon" and "bhfuil".

I reckon it should say "Caithfear a admháil gan aon dabht go bhfuil an-tábhacht go deo ag baint leis an nGaeilge don tír seo".

Or, "One must admit without any doubt that there is a great importance with regard to Irish for this country".

Cén chaoi a ndeirtear 'titles' i nGaeilge (spórt)?

I know that title is craobh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Craobh is a Championship (title). If you're looking for the plural of Craobh, look at teanglann.ie or focloir.ie or tearma.ie

For example, if you look for 'title' in focloir.ie it gives
    craobh fem2 (2nd declension feminine.)
    Click on 'fem' and you will be brought to the grammar of the noun - Nom and Gen Case singular and plural.

You must do unnecessary subjects that you will never come across again.

Caithfidh tú ábhair neamhriachtanacha a dhéanamh go......

You must do unnecessary subjects that you will never come across again.

Caithfidh tú ábhair neamhriachtanacha a dhéanamh go......

"go" would be used for positive statements. You'll need to use "nach" for negatives/things that will not happen.

I'd probably say something like "nach bhfeicfidh tú arí­s choí­che" or "nach dtiocfaidh tú anall orthu arí­s", but I'm sure there are plenty of other phrases that would work just as nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What a language where no one can agree the translation.

What a language where no one can agree the translation.

Excuse me? Have you ever used English or any other language in your life? There are nearly always multiple options, or different ways of saying the same thing. How many tens of thousands of poems and love songs say the same thing with different words? Cop on to yourself.

Advertisement