Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Hire Volunteers?

• 03-06-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

A simple question. Can I hire volunteers / interns for a startup with a view to taking on the successful ones once the company is up and running?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jn1993 wrote: »
    A simple question. Can I hire volunteers / interns for a startup with a view to taking on the successful ones once the company is up and running?

You can try.

But why would anyone work for free? Do you really want to hire anyone who's that dumb?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jn1993

You make an excellent point!

I guess I'm hoping people will want to be part of something bigger & understand that when they business grows they'll be looked after.

Having said that, I've ran businesses before and in my experience people are usually too cunning t work for free!

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

This is really weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Is job bridge still running ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

jn1993 wrote: »
    You make an excellent point!

I guess I'm hoping people will want to be part of something bigger & understand that when they business grows they'll be looked after.

Having said that, I've ran businesses before and in my experience people are usually too cunning t work for free!

Thank you!

What do you mean by 'they'll be looked after' ?
    Will you give them a share in the business?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

You can try.

But why would anyone work for free? Do you really want to hire anyone who's that dumb?

Not nice Mrs OBumble. Lots of people out there work for nothing to have experience to put on cv. It costs them money sometimes to do this. They are desperate for work. You equate that desperation for dumbness. Like I say, not nice Mrs OBumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Unpaid internships are rare these days. At a very minimum, most seem to be contributing 200-300e per month towards living expenses. On the other end, there are plenty offering a normal wage around 1800e per month.

To get someone to work for free, I reckon you should be putting equity on the table, clearly defined, and not just a nod and wink. Furthermore, it would probably have to be a role that is difficult to get experience in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not nice Mrs OBumble. Lots of people out there work for nothing to have experience to put on cv. It costs them money sometimes to do this. They are desperate for work. You equate that desperation for dumbness. Like I say, not nice Mrs OBumble.

What you say was true when we had an unemployment problem.

However unemployment is now below 7%. The frictional rate is 6%. Job-bridge is history.

The only folks working for free now are ones with problems. And even then, people who need experience for their CVs can not get it working for non-profit organisations that do some sort of good. There is no need to donate free labour to for-profit businesses any more.

What you say was true when we had an unemployment problem.

However unemployment is now below 7%. The frictional rate is 6%. Job-bridge is history.

The only folks working for free now are ones with problems. And even then, people who need experience for their CVs can not get it working for non-profit organisations that do some sort of good. There is no need to donate free labour to for-profit businesses any more.
    Not so. I know several graduates who worked for free for the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

What an ignorant comment. I do not always agree with Mrs O'B's but in her recent comments she is on the money.
    It was not a very intelligent opening post and dumb answers like the one above match it. Nobody ‘hires’ volunteers because ‘hire’ by definition involves payment. Any firm worth working for is one that respects its staff. It pays them, even interns or people on work experience.

Those who expect to recruit people to work for free have an ego greater than their (misguided) sense of entitlement and importance. They are soon found out and are discovered in the pages of Stubbs Gazette and the Revenue judgements. Losers, the lot of them, big notions and no idea.

• Advertisement

What an ignorant comment. I do not always agree with Mrs O'B's but in her recent comments she is on the money.
    It was not a very intelligent opening post and dumb answers like the one above match it. Nobody ‘hires’ volunteers because ‘hire’ by definition involves payment. Any firm worth working for is one that respects its staff. It pays them, even interns or people on work experience.

Those who expect to recruit people to work for free have an ego greater than their (misguided) sense of entitlement and importance. They are soon found out and are discovered in the pages of Stubbs Gazette and the Revenue judgements. Losers, the lot of them, big notions and no idea.

I assure you I am not ignorant, whatever you chose to believe. Her comment was not about those who employ/use but those who agree to work for free. Read it back. There are people in certain sectors who need to work for free to get experience. It is not nice of Mrs O'Bumble to call them dumb. I stand by my comment.

Anybody who works for nothing (other than out of a sense of community contribution /payback) is very ill-advised. Those - like the V de P and other pro bono volunteers work for altruistic reasons and I admire them. Those who expect people to work for nothing (like the OP) are s#1ts. The very fewwho succumb to their blandishments are 'dumb' and deserve our help, support and sympathy. So what is your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The web summit uses lots of suckers / volunteers, PR companies use lots of interns, so yeah you can

ted1 wrote: »
    The web summit uses lots of suckers / volunteers, PR companies use lots of interns, so yeah you can
    Thank you, proves my point (Suckers). FWIW I've worked with several PR companies (as recently as last year) and interns got minimum wage. Even transition year students in my local supermarket were given cash vouchers for their work. The OP is a start-up, has notions of grandeur and expects helpful advice/sympathy here on how to rip-off young people.:rolleyes:

I assure you I am not ignorant, whatever you chose to believe. Her comment was not about those who employ/use but those who agree to work for free. Read it back. There are people in certain sectors who need to work for free to get experience. It is not nice of Mrs O'Bumble to call them dumb. I stand by my comment.

What sectors do people need to work for free to get experience ?

We have a minimum wage in this country, but let's bypass it by having people work for free

What sectors do people need to work for free to get experience ?

We have a minimum wage in this country, but let's bypass it by having people work for free

You ever try to work in tv/film industry?

You ever try to work in tv/film industry?

Yes. My first job I got paid

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Are you working for free too OP? Or only the poor cnts you're attempting to exploit.

Yes. My first job I got paid

Good for you. Anyone work for free on that job?

Advertisement