Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seat with Isofix Base for Newborn?

Options
  • 03-06-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi all. A bit confused so hopefully someone can help. Went looking at travel systems today. I had read that the base is safer than using just the safety belt over the seat. In the shop the lady told me that I couldn't use the base for a newborn, that I would have to use the safety belt with the car seat for the first few weeks as the muscles in the baby's neck wouldn't be properly formed. Anyone have insight on this. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

Haven't heard that before! AFAIK as long as the seatbelt is fitted correctly both are equally safe. The difference is that people find it easier to click the seat on and off the Base.

The issue with babies neck and head refers to the need to keep them rear facing for as long as possible (deffo up to 13kgs, but seats can now go up to 5+ years)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Yeah will definitely be getting the base anyway for ease of taking seat in and out of car. But she was referring to the first few weeks only re using seatbelt instead of base. I was still buying a bundle with a base.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

angeline wrote: »
    Yeah will definitely be getting the base anyway for ease of taking seat in and out of car. But she was referring to the first few weeks only re using seatbelt instead of base. I was still buying a bundle with a base.

It's to do with the recline of the seat. In lots of cars the recline of the baby seat isn't good enough with the isofix base for the first few weeks. You can get a better recline with the belt only. I think this is a relatively new recommendation as everyone I know used the isofix base with newborn. Once a seat is belted correctly, it is just as safe as isofix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It's to do with the recline of the seat. In lots of cars the recline of the baby seat isn't good enough with the isofix base for the first few weeks. You can get a better recline with the belt only. I think this is a relatively new recommendation as everyone I know used the isofix base with newborn. Once a seat is belted correctly, it is just as safe as isofix.

I have a five and a half year old and was told this when I bought his seat. Exactly for that reason. Risk of head flop when he was smaller, bevause the seat wouldn't be reclined enough

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Okay thanks. Will just use safety belt for first few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Definitely to do with the seat recline. My car was fine from birth, husbands was not!

I highly recommend the rear facing toddler group on Facebook for thorough advice on car seat safety

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Definitely to do with the seat recline. My car was fine from birth, husbands was not!

I highly recommend the rear facing toddler group on Facebook for thorough advice on car seat safety

Second this, it's a great group!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Some of the bases have a spirit level in them to make sure that the angle is correct

Advertisement