Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer won't boot after Ram upgrade

Options
  • 03-06-2017 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks bit of a strange one.

I bought some DDR3 ram for the father in laws old Alienware Aroura R4. Replacing some 1600mhz for some 1866mhz ram.

However the FIL decided to try and fit the ram himself. He boot the computer and got the 5 beeps. He took the ram out and replaced it back with the old ones but didn't seat 2 of the sticks correctly.

Now the PC will start but die seconds later. We disconnected everything from the power even the system fans. But still does the same thing.

I removed the CMOS battery for 5 minutes then reseated it but still does the same thing. So im at a loss.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Ok first off, take a step back and take a deep breath. Take ONE of the original ram sticks and place in the first slot and power on the system. If it boots move this stick along and check each slot. If all slots are ok start to add other memory sticks. Check the motherboard manual for correct slot allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

degsie wrote: »
    Ok first off, take a step back and take a deep breath. Take ONE of the original ram sticks and place in the first slot and power on the system. If it boots move this stick along and check each slot. If all slots are ok start to add other memory sticks. Check the motherboard manual for correct slot allocation.

Tried that. Didn't work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wonder did he knock the CPU cooler loose. The fact that it starts for a couple seconds with the ram installed would possibly indicate something other than the ram. Are you getting an image on screen, or does it just start for a few seconds, no display, then turn off?

Other possibilities are that he somehow damaged the board. Or knocked the video card loose/pci-e plug loose. Double check all cables are fully connected - 24 pin + 4/8 pin CPU connector.

The board won't support 1866mhz ram anyway, it will run but only at 1600mhz unless overclocking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Check out what 5 beeps means for that bios. That would be a starting point.

I wonder did he knock the CPU cooler loose. The fact that it starts for a couple seconds with the ram installed would possibly indicate something other than the ram. Are you getting an image on screen, or does it just start for a few seconds, no display, then turn off?

Other possibilities are that he somehow damaged the board. Or knocked the video card loose/pci-e plug loose. Double check all cables are fully connected - 24 pin + 4/8 pin CPU connector.

The board won't support 1866mhz ram anyway, it will run but only at 1600mhz unless overclocking.

CPU cooler wasn't loose, checked the connections and they were tight to the water cooler. The computer boots for about 2 seconds, and then dies as if it loses power.

The board looked fine, didnt see any bulging transistors or anything out of the ordinary.

Are you sure it wont support the higher frequency ram?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

This the desktop version I assume?

5 beeps for alienware desktop means

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN114868/alienware-computer-does-not-turn-on-or-go-into-windows?lang=EN
    Beep Code Description
    1 BIOS ROM checksum failure - Possible MB failure (Contact Alienware)
    2 No RAM detected*. (Reseat Memory modules or test individually)
    3 Possible motherboard failure - chipset error(Contact Alienware)
    4 RAM read/write failure (Reseat Memory modules or test individually)
    5 Real Time Clock failure (Reseat or Replace Coin Cell Battery)
    6 Video card failure (Reseat Video Card or Contact Alienware)
    7 Processor Failure (Contact Alienware)

You sure its not 4 beeps?
    like you said you already reseated the battery , it could be dead although that would be a strange coincidence.
    have a good look around it maybe it got damaged or got dirty the connector for battery?
    replace it or measure it with multimeter if you have one.

Keplar240B wrote: »
    This the desktop version I assume?

5 beeps for alienware desktop means

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN114868/alienware-computer-does-not-turn-on-or-go-into-windows?lang=EN
    Beep Code Description
    1 BIOS ROM checksum failure - Possible MB failure (Contact Alienware)
    2 No RAM detected*. (Reseat Memory modules or test individually)
    3 Possible motherboard failure - chipset error(Contact Alienware)
    4 RAM read/write failure (Reseat Memory modules or test individually)
    5 Real Time Clock failure (Reseat or Replace Coin Cell Battery)
    6 Video card failure (Reseat Video Card or Contact Alienware)
    7 Processor Failure (Contact Alienware)

You sure its not 4 beeps?
    like you said you already reseated the battery , it could be dead although that would be a strange coincidence.
    have a good look around it maybe it got damaged or got dirty the connector for battery?
    replace it or measure it with multimeter if you have one.

This is going on what the FiL told me, it could have been 4 beeps.

I asked him to reseat the ram stick individually again and try. Will see what happens

Advertisement