Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limit to sockets?

Options
  • 03-06-2017 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

Currently coming to end of my house being rewired. I noted to the electrician that I wanted one more socket upstairs and he said there would be too many with another addition, and resultingly the rewire would not get signed off on. I am confused as to why one further socket could cause issue. Can anyone offer advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am confused as to why one further socket could cause issue. Can anyone offer advice?

There is is a limit on how many sockets can be installed on a circuit, you had reached this limit. Installing another socket on this circuit would result in the circuit and consequently the installation noncompliant with the regulations.

The way around this is to install a new circuit, however this may not be straightforward or cheap!

Late requests from a customer can be difficult to accommodate.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

What is the max for a circuit or how it the max determined? Just out of curiosity.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What is the max for a circuit or how it the max determined? Just out of curiosity.

From memory:
    10 points on a radial with a double socket or a spur outlet counting as a point. Can not extend over more than 2 rooms but a hall does not count as a room.

I'm not an electrical contractor nad have not wired a domestic installation in years so I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scriptiee

Currently coming to end of my house being rewired.

What was involved in rewiring the house? I discovered recently I might need to do that in the place I'm now, to add my own home automation. Did you have to break through the walls to get to some of the cabling? Or did the electrician have some sort of technique that allowed to avoid that? And if you don't mind me asking what was the ball park figure you had to pay for that? Thanks.

Advertisement