Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time fishing

• 03-06-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

I would like to try fishing but don't know anyone that fish and am wondering where to start ?Im based in Kildare and have no experience . I was going to go to Nurney lakes as I heard they are good for beginners but they are closed this year . Any suggestions as to where i can start ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Fishing is like anything, once you open the box all sorts of stuff comes out and you will never ever get to the bottom of it.

So, what do you want to fish for? You can first start by breaking down the types of fishing.

Trout and Salmon - Fly
    Pike - River & Lake
    Saltwater - beach / rocks / Boat
    Coarse - river & Lake

Each style is different, requires different types of Gear and different approaches.

So have you any idea whatsoever what way you want to go with it?

Based in Kildare you have the canal so coarse and pike fishing is good, you have the liffey also not far and the barrow too within reach! You also have the griese which is a very technical trout river!

Getting out with someone is very important though. you be amazed how many people are closet fishers, maybe put a ost on your fb page asking if anyone does any fishing?

Whatever way you go or however it works out keep us posted and feel free to ask anymore questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Thanks for your reply ,
    I will educate myself about each of the types you have mentioned.
    Saltwater from a boat would be my aim but I presume River fishing would be my starting point as it seems most accessible to start with.
    I have been asking around to see if anyone I know fishes but no luck yet .Is there any "beginner groups " or classes for fishing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I pm'd you - add me on fb and I will add you to some groups and send you some videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Contact the local clubs. They are always very willing to help new or aspiring anglers. There's bound to be at least one near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

If you're based in Kildare the Canal would be the handiest, there are several clubs in Kildare that fish the canals

21/25

• Advertisement
Advertisement