Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 year old getting into motorbikes

• 03-06-2017 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was looking at the aprilia rs125 and I was wondering if it's even legal to ride this bike? And if it's not what type of bikes would suit for my first bike.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Do training on a rented bike and get your full licence, before thinking of getting your own bike. Insurance will be a killer at 16 on anything, especially an rs125. A full licence will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

It's all changed since I passed my test a long time ago, but does RoSPA still help with getting your insurance down.

Either way, do a RoSPA course, it taught me a hell of a lot more about day to day riding than regular lessons.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Don't bother until you're 18 and then get the A2 licence, after passing the A2 test, you'll be able to do the conversion course to get the full A licence in a few years whilst avoiding a second driving test.

If you pass your bike test on the A1 licence, you'll just eventually end up having to do the test a second time for a full A as you're can only allowed do the progressive access once without a test.

Get some road experience in a car first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

^best advice for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Surely he could ride on an A1 provisional for a year or two and then do the test for a bigger license? Been a few years since I started, also at 16, so not sure the rules exactly. Don't like the idea that getting a car for a year or two is a better idea. Definitely not feasible for a 16 year old regardless..

If you do go ahead OP the RS125 is a bad idea, you'll never insure it. Few lads in my year had NSR 80s and they were grand wee starter bikes. I had a Honda City Fly 125 which I loved. Have a look at the Varadero 125 and see what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I wouldnt get a car for road experience, the cost of insurance will be too much. Bikes are cheaper to insure. Even though IBT is expensive and so is gear, it'll still be cheaper than car insurance.

I'd start saving now and go for the A2 at 18. You'll have the money to buy a decent 500. And there's no messing around with a qualified driver beside you while on a provisional.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you can't afford car insurance, then just get road experience on a bicycle then. You'll just have to pedal very fast and get this....

Advertisement