Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion not working

Options
  • 04-06-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello folks,

I'm living in my parents house for the summer while they have gone to visit my sister in New Zealand - having someone living here is the only way they'd leave.

Anyway, my dad has steadfastly refused for years to install an electric shower and the water is still heated by the central heating and immersion, but the immersion isn't working.

I flick the switch and the light doesn't come on. I've left it on to see if it just the light not working, but the water doesn't still heat up.

I have no doubt whatsoever that my father has turned off something somewhere and he knows I don't have knowhow to figure it out. Plumbing gas are the only things I never learned from him when I was a kid because he used to take so long at those two things that I would have to switch off or go mad.

Can anyone help? What should I look for or what more information do I need to provide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Sarn

Has it been turned off at the fuse board? It would be very unlucky for the switch to have broken while they were gone. Is there a timer set maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

Sarn wrote: »
    Has it been turned off at the fuse board? It would be very unlucky for the switch to have broken while they were gone. Is there a timer set maybe?

I'll give the fuse board a look.

Sarn wrote: »

Ten million blessings upon you my friend.:D That is it.

The way my father does things I was expecting this problem to be a lot more awkward.:rolleyes:

I'd honestly never have thought to check the fuse board.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ten million blessings upon you my friend. That is it.

I'd honestly never have thought to check the fuse board.

It may be the fuse has tripped rather than having been switched off.

If it does trip again, call an electrician to investigate, don't just keep resetting it and using the immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

On the top of the immersion tank there should be a metal cap. Unscrew and remove and you will see a solenoid which can sometimes trip out. Using a pin you can reset the unit by pushing down. This may be the issue.

• Advertisement

Macker1 wrote:
    On the top of the immersion tank there should be a metal cap. Unscrew and remove and you will see a solenoid which can sometimes trip out. Using a pin you can reset the unit by pushing down. This may be the issue.

They have identified it was the fuse board where power was isolated from.

No disrespect but I wouldn't recommend that someone inexperienced to the point of not identifying the fuse/MCB as a likely source of isolation goes disassembling part of the immersion tank.

It may be the fuse has tripped rather than having been switched off.

If it does trip again, call an electrician to investigate, don't just keep resetting it and using the immersion.

No it was definitely my father doing. ;)

I know enough not to keep messing with fuses that don't want to work.:)

Macker1 wrote: »

It was the fuse board, but thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't mess around with all that though.

They have identified it was the fuse board where power was isolated from.

No disrespect but I wouldn't recommend that someone inexperienced to the point of not identifying the fuse/MCB as a likely source of isolation goes disassembling part of the immersion tank.

No offence taken ;)

It wasn't so much a lack of experience that prevented me from looking to the fuse board - more that I over thought how awkward my father would make my time living here. :rolleyes: I was thinking it would be something complex and buried in the attic somewhere.

It wasn't so a lack of experience that prevented me from looking to the fuse board - more that I over thought how awkward my father would make my time living here. I was thinking it would be something complex and buried in the attic somewhere.

Sounds like your auld fella is probably in NZ looking at his energy monitoring app and telling himself "the fecker is using the immersion".

Get ready for a phone calling asking do you think he's made of money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

Did he expect you to go without a shower while he was on holiday , sounds like a lovely man

Sounds like your auld fella is probably in NZ looking at his energy monitoring app and telling himself "the fecker is using the immersion".

Get ready for a phone calling asking do you think he's made of money.

I have only just now picked my self up off the floor after the fit brought on by the notion of my father using an app. :eek::D

Advertisement