Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griddle Pan

Options
  • 04-06-2017 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of buying one of these, can anyone recommend? and would it be suitable for frying chicken breast with bone in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I can't recommend a brand, I've got a dirt cheap one from Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which). I've had it for a good few years now, it's still going strong.

I'm not sure about chicken breast on the bone, though - I'm not an expert, but I think what you'd have to do it griddle it for the nice charring, and finish it off in the oven. The pan doesn't really do cooking through all that well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I got one a few years ago and it spends 99% of its time at the back of the saucepan press gathering dust to be quite honest; I found that while it does a nice enough job of cooking things so that you get those pretty griddle marks on them, its just too much of a faff cleaning out between the ridges each time to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm not sure about chicken breast on the bone, though - I'm not an expert, but I think what you'd have to do it griddle it for the nice charring, and finish it off in the oven. The pan doesn't really do cooking through all that well.
    +1, really meant for fast cooking. If even doing a chicken breast with no bone I would want it butterflied out or cut down into 2 thinner fillets.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/test-five-best-griddle-pans
    it can be used for plenty of other ingredients aside from steak. A griddle pan's design allows for a chargrilled finish complete with darkened, seared stripes and juicy, speedily cooked meat, fish or veg that?s not suffered any flavour-sapping, lengthy cooking.

If I had to use a griddle pan and had no oven and could not cut the bone in chicken I would be looking for some sort of cover. I have small stainless steel bowls I sometimes use then frying to the upper bits steam a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I have a griddle pan that we got in Arnotts years ago, it was expensive but it is lasting really well.

I use it for steaks, chicken breasts/fillets, duck fillets and other stuff.

I would not recommend using it for fully cooking chicken breasts on the bone as it won't cook them through fully without burning the outside of the meat.

I sometimes get the chicken supremes in Dunnes (scroll here and you'll find them http://www.dunnesstores.com/pws/client/pdf/SimplyBetterSummerCollection.pdf ) they're smaller than other breasts on the bone so they cook fully, but on a low-medium heat and for a longer cooking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I'd assumed you were looking for the "square frying pan with ridges" thing. However, have you considered something like this?

I ruined a Teflon-coated griddle pan[1] by trying to cook something at too high a temperature. Obviously, not a problem with cast iron. Seasoning guides available on Boards :)

[1] It was cheap from Aldi, and was good until I spoiled it. You could wait until they come round on the Specials in Aldi/Lidl again, as Shensen uses. It made great criss-cross patterns on Spam, though the slices got hidden in sandwiches :rolleyes: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I have a griddle pan that we got in Arnotts years ago, it was expensive but it is lasting really well.

I use it for steaks, chicken breasts/fillets, duck fillets and other stuff.

I would not recommend using it for fully cooking chicken breasts on the bone as it won't cook them through fully without burning the outside of the meat.

I sometimes get the chicken supremes in Dunnes (scroll here and you'll find them http://www.dunnesstores.com/pws/client/pdf/SimplyBetterSummerCollection.pdf ) they're smaller than other breasts on the bone so they cook fully, but on a low-medium heat and for a longer cooking time.

Wow these look yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

For convenience would you nit be better using a George foreman? I'm all for getting the grill marks and finishing in the oven but you'd get more versatility out of a GF with the same result in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

squonk wrote: »
    For convenience would you nit be better using a George foreman? I'm all for getting the grill marks and finishing in the oven but you'd get more versatility out of a GF with the same result in the end.

A GF doesn't get hot enough to properly sear meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

arian wrote: »
    I ruined a Teflon-coated griddle pan[1] by trying to cook something at too high a temperature.
    I got a present of one and it was ruined before I ever got to use it.

Like Woks they are intended to be used at high temp and so are not suited to teflon coatings.

I wondered if you could strip/burn/sand the teflon off and use it like a cast iron pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

rubadub wrote: »
    I wondered if you could strip/burn/sand the teflon off and use it like a cast iron pan.

Sandblasting might work. First, though, find your compressor :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement