Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants for shade

Options
  • 04-06-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭

Most of the stuff I have planted in my back garden over the years dies off pretty quickly, but a few have survived!

So apart from Hostas, fuscias, and hydrangeas what are good plants for shady conditions that will survive year after year, preferably with a bit of colour rather than just green. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ferns.
    Fatsia Japonica.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Does your garden get any sun at all? Is it shady because of high hedges, or just because of walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No sun really where I'll be putting these, just walls all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Honeysuckle does pretty well, since it is a woodland plant. And spring bulbs like bluebells, and anemones. Holly, great for wildlife and for Christmas decorations, too.
    Among herbs, mint, chervil and parsley.
    Periwinkle and of course the ivies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In that case you may have to make the best of it with greenery. There are a few flowers that will grow in partial shade, but very few that will grow in permanent shade.

Ferns are way the best solution, but you might get lucky with some plants that will grow in woodland conditions, such as honeysuckle, violets, vincas, bluebells (not Spanish bluebells), and berginias (not sure that that last is woodland but it flowers in shade). Hellebores supposedly grow in shade but I find they are happier in sun or at least partial shade. Pansies are also pretty ok with shade, but they are generally best treated as annuals.

I have planted a James Galway rose in a very shady position, so I am waiting with interest to see will it live up to its reputation as a shade rose. I also have some snapdragons flowering quite happily in shade, be interesting to see how long they last.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Cheers guys, gonna take a spin to a good garden centre tomorrow and pick some stuff up.

Any recommendations for good centres in Dublin/Meath area?

Advertisement