Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Parents - Baby Came Home on Saturday - Any General Advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I don't think you'll find many mothers that experience breastfeeding being "perfect and by the book". Like the rest of pregnancy, childbirth and parenting for most women it's a steep learning curve with some difficulties, pain or both but we persevere when that is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

As someone who breastfed two babies I find the breastfeeding natzi analogy so offensive. To each their own, who cares how anyone feeds their child. My problem is with those who judge others and the using that term is judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey Folks,

So things have been going pretty well. We've now moved from the pre-made formula to using the powdered variation. I have a question in relation to this.

It states to boil the water and leave it cool for 30 minutes which will bring the temp down to 70°. How did/do you folks ensure it's at the correct temperature? We'd be concerned that the water might be too hot and damaging to the nutrients or even not warm enough.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Hey Folks,

So things have been going pretty well. We've now moved from the pre-made formula to using the powdered variation. I have a question in relation to this.

It states to boil the water and leave it cool for 30 minutes which will bring the temp down to 70°. How did/do you folks ensure it's at the correct temperature? We'd be concerned that the water might be too hot and damaging to the nutrients or even not warm enough.

Thanks.

PHN told me to not boil up any more water than will do exactly six bottles.

She said - her exact words - most formula instructions are for the "lowest common denominator" of society, the types that would make up bottles a week in advance and leave them sitting on a sideboard for all that time.

Boil enough water for no more than six bottles, cool water for 30 minutes, make up bottles, cool bottles quickly (we used a basin of cold water), then refrigerate. Do not ever give after 24 hours. Ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I absolutely detest those that judge people for choosing the best option for themselves, their baby and their family. Every woman should be allowed to make a decision on what's best for her.

I hate getting comments about still breastfeeding my lo at 10 months old. Similarily I hate getting praise for still breastfeeding her. I'm doing what is right for me personally and my baby and I fought hard to get here. I don't need any judgment, whether good or bad, on my choices.

I don't understand why society cares so much about whether someone breast or formula feeds their baby. The bottle bashing brigade only do more harm to their mission to getting every mother to breastfeed because of their attitude and every other breastfeeding mother gets branded with the same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

scarepanda wrote: »
    I absolutely detest those that judge people for choosing the best option for themselves, their baby and their family. Every woman should be allowed to make a decision on what's best for her.

I hate getting comments about still breastfeeding my lo at 10 months old. Similarily I hate getting praise for still breastfeeding her. I'm doing what is right for me personally and my baby and I fought hard to get here. I don't need any judgment, whether good or bad, on my choices.

I don't understand why society cares so much about whether someone breast or formula feeds their baby. The bottle bashing brigade only do more harm to their mission to getting every mother to breastfeed because of their attitude and every other breastfeeding mother gets branded with the same brush.

Actually most people don't care.

It's cool that your baby is still being fed, 10 months in? Well done you!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Actually most people don't care.
    I find a lot of people have an opinion, and it's usually black or white depending on how they feed their babies. I find that generally people who have breastfed for any length are quite supportive while people who haven't think it's weird that I'm still feeding her.
    It's cool that your baby is still being fed, 10 months in? Well done you!

Haha! Thank you! Aiming for the year for nutrition and comfort for a while after that. She'll be moving down to morning and bedtime once she turns one mainly because I love being able to feed her!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

Congrats on your new family member! I can really recommend the app "wonder weeks" which saved us from wondering what's wrong with our first born! It's I believe 1.50 euros and gives you a heads-up for any upcoming or current development phases your baby is going through. It's been spot on for our son!

Advertisement