Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Hair Removal

• 04-06-2017 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Just looking for recommendations/experiences with getting this done. Concerned about pain (if any), embarrassment, etc.

Have searched online and think Urbana appears to be one of the best recommended. A pleasant, professional experience is more important than the cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ymckenna

I've been to Sensius in the ilac centre, really friendly there, pain isn't too much, bit uncomfortable but way easier than waxing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I had one session done! Second is in a couple of weeks!

Sorest part was the bottom half of my leg the closer to the ankle the sorer it was! But nothing bad! The darker the hair the sorer it is! Bikini was as bad tho!

Embarrassment is prob individual really! I was fine once I knew what to do was nore embarrassed cos I didn't know what to do! You just pull your underware to the side for them tho!

Well worth it! Even tho I only had one session can notice a difference! I would usually shave my legs and have stubble the next day! If I was on holidays would have to shave everyday! I shaved Friday night and still the stubble isn't bad today! Can't wait to see what it's like when I finish!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,926 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had it done in Dundrum Laser Clinic and would 100% recommend them. They're open late every night so it's easy to get appointments. In terms of pain, it was very minimal for me. The machine sprays a cooling spray at the same time as the laser fires, so really all I felt was a very mind tingling but the dominant feeling was the cool spray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

I had mine done in Urban Day Spa in Ringsend. The girls are lovely there, it isn't as painful as I expected and not embarrassed at all getting it done. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

I looked into getting this done a few years ago but decided I was too fair to get down and would likely not see results. Have the machines improved to be able to get rid of fair/blonde hair now? Would LOVE to get done as I get bad ingrown hairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'm getting this done at Therapie at the moment and am actually AMAZED at the results only halfway through treatment.

One thing that really impressed me about them. I asked at the outset - what if I give you all this money, and get no results? Will there be a refund, or what's the crack? They told me straight out that they'd refuse to take me on as a client unless they were certain of results - that's why their success rate is so high. I like that about them. They won't waste your time or theirs unless they're going to get results.

It was actually Therapie who I spoke with about getting it done - they told me that it may/may not work, but were pushing to get me to sign up. I paid them a deposit but then decided it would likely not work after I spoke with a friend who worked as a beauty therapist. Again, this was a few years ago though so things may have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

It was actually Therapie who I spoke with about getting it done - they told me that it may/may not work, but were pushing to get me to sign up. I paid them a deposit but then decided it would likely not work after I spoke with a friend who worked as a beauty therapist. Again, this was a few years ago though so things may have changed.
    I had similar experience with Therapie a couple of years ago, really intense hard sell to get me to sign up for a package. I've since been to Havana Laser and can't fault them.

Scraggs wrote: »
    I had similar experience with Therapie a couple of years ago, really intense hard sell to get me to sign up for a package. I've since been to Havana Laser and can't fault them.
    So it worked for you? My only gripe was that it may not work given I've fair hair and was unsure if the lady in Therapie was just trying to make a quick buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

It won't work on fair hair full stop no matter what they tell you. It isn't some miracle total removal either-more like hair reduction. I had 13 sessions and was an ideal candidate and still have hair but a significant less amount all the same. It's growing back a bit now so top ups are required. Check out hairtell.com for futher information on all things laser

• Advertisement

Thanks; I'm familiar with Hairtell from my time researching when I was thinking of getting it. Was hoping lasers may have advanced since then. Alas...back to being hairy!

also do a search on laser removal and Therapie on the forums here. Loads of threads. I wouldn't recommend Therapie in a month of sundays, useless machines

Thanks; I'm familiar with Hairtell from my time researching when I was thinking of getting it. Was hoping lasers may have advanced since then. Alas...back to being hairy!

No advances, they need to pick up pigment in the hair, even light brown hair won't work too well

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

jadie wrote: »
    No advances, they need to pick up pigment in the hair, even light brown hair won't work too well

Piggybacking onto this thread, does anyone have recommendations for laser hair removal on the Northside (Dublin)? I went to The Laser Centre on Stephens Green before, they were OK but not amazing. And far away from me. Any other reccs?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Eccles clinic are good. Just across from Mater private. Two nurses there.

I had a good experience with Therapie but that was down to my particular therapist. She left and when she did so did I as no one was as good as her

Happywith eclles clinic - medical grade machine and staff who know what they are doing. Wouldn't be a fan of Urbana etc... Or the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have definitely decided to it just have to decide where.

Therapie had kind of been ruled out before this thread and I'd prefer go somewhere with a lot of positive recommendations. Seems to be very difficult to get places with a high recommendation rate.

@frogstar, why no to Urbana, can i ask why as that's where i'm leaning to at the moment?

Also, has anyone tried Dundrum Laser Clinic? Heard some offline recommendations for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I would recommend Dundrum Laser Clinic. I am currently getting a course of laser hair removal there and I find the service excellent. It was really well priced. I got lip, underarms and any bikini for just over 500 euro.

I have had 2 sessions so far and I am amazed at how receptive my underarms especially, have been. I have only had to shave once in between sessions. Prior to this, I used to shave every two or three days.

You can get a free consultation and if you go for a patch test when there, it's around 35 euro. This is deducted then from the treatment cost if you decide to go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I'm currently going to Urbana for underarms and full leg and I'm very happy with the service. The initial consultation and patch test were free and I wasn't put under any pressure to get any additional areas done. It's pay ask you go as well with treatments every 6 weeks which is a lot more manageable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 caileen

Hi All,

So I could really do with some help. I have had two conultations this week one with therapie who use the soprano and one with Midas on newlands cross. Midas offered a much higher rate but is that because the machine is better? I am just confused about which machine to go for , the Candella or the Soprano, does anyone have any results from either of these machines please? My appointment for my first treatment is tomorrow and really dont know what to do? :(

I have had one session with the candela laser! Had really good result! Kno it's only one session but I'm really happy so far! My growth on my legs had reduced dramatically! Is there any difference in the two test patches? That's what I went by knew from the test patch it was going to be a good result! Only had the one consultation tho!

• Advertisement

I'm looking to get my underarms done, and was quoted €250 at Therapie today as a special offer as I'm an existing customer ... just wondering if anyone knows if I'm likely to get cheaper than that anywhere else, or will I go for it? Very happy with results from Therapie so far, so might just stick with them, but I'm wondering is there any point shopping around. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I was quoted €40 per session for underarms in Urbana. The therapie offer looks good in comparison since its going to take 6-8 sessions. If you are happy with them so far I would stick with them.

You could wait until somewhere has a sale and they might price match!! I did that with mine wanted to go one place and they said they would price match with the place having the sale for that day only!

idunno78 wrote: »
    I have had one session with the candela laser! Had really good result! Kno it's only one session but I'm really happy so far! My growth on my legs had reduced dramatically! Is there any difference in the two test patches? That's what I went by knew from the test patch it was going to be a good result! Only had the one consultation tho!

Yeah I'm Soo confused. The place that has the candella is twice as expensive as therapy. The girls in therapy were very pushy but only half the price. Its a lot of money to spend, between 1500 and 1800 so I want the right one. I'm not sure if there's much different in the machines. The girls at therapies say it's pain free? Whereas the girls I know who did candella so it's very painful. I wonder if it's painful as it actually works?

How did your first treatment go? Mine hurt, my legs for example hurt most at my ankles and the higher up my leg the less it hurt! So the thicker and darker thenhairnhe more it hurts! The pain was bearable! But I'd say if whole lot of my leg was like my ankle I'd have needed a break!!

Yeah it's definitely not pain-free, I'd actually put it as not much lower than getting a tattoo in the pain stakes! I half dread the sessions but sure it's worth it ... long term gain etc!

Yeah it's definitely not pain-free, I'd actually put it as not much lower than getting a tattoo in the pain stakes! I half dread the sessions but sure it's worth it ... long term gain etc!

And wh

Which machine and clinic do you go to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Definitely not pain free!
    I've had 7 sessions with Therapie. The first two sessions had minimal 'elastic band' pain and the other sessions were intense - don't really want to describe the pain as it might put people off! Ha!
    But totally worth it when you see the results.
    I have fair skin and a mixture of dark & blonde hair. I used to have to shave my legs everyday in the summer but now my legs are so smooth.
    I just had my 7th session last week so I'm not sure if I'll need any more sessions as it can take a while for the hair to fall out (you need to exfoliate to get them out of the follicle).

Was happy with Therapie (in north west), the girls are friendly but I think they must be trained to sell other products during treatments because all of them mentioned something (I've had 4 different girls doing the treatment)! I just humoured them.

• Advertisement

Hi Milli Milli, did you find that the laser worked on your blonde hairs too? I would be pretty fair, although my bikini would be darker. Would love to get this done if I thought I'd get results!

Advertisement