Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briggs and Stratton Engine Replacement

Options
  • 04-06-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All,
    I have a Jonsered tractor mower with a Briggs 13.5 HP engine that has recently shot to bits. I've seen "bolt on" complete engines advertised on Donedeal etc. In contacting one of the sellers, he told me that the Briggs 15hp and 17hp engines cause problems due to them being prone to backfiring so he recommended a 19hp engine.
    Can anyone give me advice on this? Also, is it ok to replace a 13.5 with a 19hp?
    Finally, is there a web site where I can type in my old engines serial numbers etc to get details on the best replacement?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Hi All,
    I have a Jonsered tractor mower with a Briggs 13.5 HP engine that has recently shot to bits. I've seen "bolt on" complete engines advertised on Donedeal etc. In contacting one of the sellers, he told me that the Briggs 15hp and 17hp engines cause problems due to them being prone to backfiring so he recommended a 19hp engine.
    Can anyone give me advice on this? Also, is it ok to replace a 13.5 with a 19hp?
    Finally, is there a web site where I can type in my old engines serial numbers etc to get details on the best replacement?
    Thanks.

Should be no problem if it fits.
    The only problem I've had with 15hp is running on after switched off. There is a solenoid valve to prevent this but it is quite expensive. Engines usually outlive the mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Superspurs50

blackbox wrote: »
    Should be no problem if it fits.
    The only problem I've had with 15hp is running on after switched off. There is a solenoid valve to prevent this but it is quite expensive. Engines usually outlive the mower.

Many thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Hey OP, I'm in a similar boat. Have a jonsered LTH16 which needs a new engine.

Interested to hear how you get on.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »

I've made some progress, I think!!!
    I've sourced a Briggs 19.5 HP engine, from a reputable retailer, for €575. This is the lowest price I've seen for this type of engine.
    I was actually in looking at the new engine this morning. It looked very big but they have assured me that it will fit perfectly. I took note of the dimensions and will try to "measure up" when I get home later. My old engine has gone to the dump but, looking at the base plate on the new one it seems to have the same footprint including the five bolt holes to mount it on to the mower. I'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Hi All,
    Thanks.

First off the advice given to you about the 15 and 17hp backfiring is a load of nonsense as the 19hp is the exact same set up...mowers that backfire is due to not having a fuel solenoid or one thats not working properly or a carb thats running to rich or flooding issues/timing.

Is that 575 +vat?.... 19.5 seems over kill from a machine that was orig fitted with a 13hp...i would think a 15 is a nice upgrade...BTW never dump an old engine there are a lot of parts left on it that are of use to someone and worth money!...what size deck is on your mower? ...the shaft size wont be an issue you just need to check mounting holes and if you have to drill for a couple of new ones its not a problem..

all that said its not a bad price at all for a 19.5hp...and if you hit long grass it wont be an issue!!...whatever engine you decide on buy good quality oil with it and oil change after 8/10 hours of work on it...when you fit it run it in gentle...

• Advertisement

fox0512 wrote: »
    First off the advice given to you about the 15 and 17hp backfiring is a load of nonsense as the 19hp is the exact same set up...mowers that backfire is due to not having a fuel solenoid or one thats not working properly or a carb thats running to rich or flooding issues/timing.

Is that 575 +vat?.... 19.5 seems over kill from a machine that was orig fitted with a 13hp...i would think a 15 is a nice upgrade...BTW never dump an old engine there are a lot of parts left on it that are of use to someone and worth money!...what size deck is on your mower? ...the shaft size wont be an issue you just need to check mounting holes and if you have to drill for a couple of new ones its not a problem..

all that said its not a bad price at all for a 19.5hp...and if you hit long grass it wont be an issue!!...whatever engine you decide on buy good quality oil with it and oil change after 8/10 hours of work on it...when you fit it run it in gentle...

Thanks for the advice. The 19.5 hp engine is €575 inclusive which I felt was a great price. I was wondering if upgrading from 13.5 to 19.5 was complete overkill but I've been quoted far more than 575 for the 15 hp engine so I'm thinking the 19.5 is a real bargain. How do you think the 19.5 will affect the performance of the mower which, if memory serves me correctly, is a 42" deck? Will the mower be faster or simply more powerful in tough grass? Also, is it likely to use much more fuel?
    Thanks again.

I suppose you have to take the rest of the mower in account as far as deck etc...if all good fire away...wont be a big difference in juice unless you have a huge area to cut...

if its a 40/42" deck then the 13hp motor is a bit mean anyway so id put the 19 in it...with that extra power you will sail through any long grass with motor not coming under pressure like the 13hp... one thing to watch out for!!...when you fit new engine you need to be sure that it is running at the recommended rpm which could be 2700rpm... where your throttle cable was once connected/clinched to the engine may not be the correct position now if you follow...

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »

I took the plunge and bought the 19.5 HP engine. Delighted with it. The holes in the base plate matched the old ones so no drilling. I did have to get new nuts and bolts as the base plate on the original engine were threaded whereas the new one needs the nuts and bolts. Due to the physical size of the new engine, it was a bit tight to work on in places. But overall not a huge job. Total time to fit was 1.25 hours. I've just finished a cut and its perfect.

I took the plunge and bought the 19.5 HP engine. Delighted with it. The holes in the base plate matched the old ones so no drilling. I did have to get new nuts and bolts as the base plate on the original engine were threaded whereas the new one needs the nuts and bolts. Due to the physical size of the new engine, it was a bit tight to work on in places. But overall not a huge job. Total time to fit was 1.25 hours. I've just finished a cut and its perfect.

Happy days....

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Hi I am looking for an engine, can I ask where you got yours?

• Advertisement

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Hi I am looking for an engine, can I ask where you got yours?

HassettsTopline in Banagher Co Offaly.

Advertisement