Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on growing clematis plants

Options
  • 04-06-2017 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

hi looking for advice on growing these plants in my garden,
    i am about 600 meters from the sea in an exposed windy site,
    i have tried to grow 4 of these plants of different variety over the last few years
    but have only one left and its not doing well and the rest have died,
    i have tried regular feeding with a seaweed based water feed and tried them in various places in the garden to try and get sun in one side and partial shade in the other,i have tried netting to give shelter from the wind,
    i have seen two plants in neighbours gardens near me but are both well established, the last one that is holding on is planted about 9 inches from the base of a sunny wall
    any advice please.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

pegasuspub wrote: »
    hi looking for advice on growing these plants in my garden,
    i am about 600 meters from the sea in an exposed windy site,
    i have tried to grow 4 of these plants of different variety over the last few years
    but have only one left and its not doing well and the rest have died,
    i have tried regular feeding with a seaweed based water feed and tried them in various places in the garden to try and get sun in one side and partial shade in the other,i have tried netting to give shelter from the wind,
    i have seen two plants in neighbours gardens near me but are both well established, the last one that is holding on is planted about 9 inches from the base of a sunny wall
    any advice please.
    thanks

The small flowered ones - Montana and Montana Rubens - are reasonably tough, but the large flowered ones like rich soil and shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Aim to have the roots of the clematis in shade and the stems in the light. You can do this by placing a flat stone or paving stone over the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Clematis is one of the few plants that are recommended to plant 2-4 inches lower than the soil level in the pot.
    They suffer from clematis wilt and if they do there is a strong chance of they are planted low that they may regrow if affected.
    Montana is very hardy, but I lost one myself I planted last year.

Advertisement