Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of maternity delivery Limerick

Options
  • 04-06-2017 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and going private with a consultant in Limerick. My consultant is lovely and have had loads of appointments with her and we have paid each time we met her. My query is with my health insurance it is due for renewal in July and my husband always looked after that side of things and told me I had maternity cover on the policy. Turns out it's a basic plan (select starter) with only public hospital cover for maternity €400 and inpatient maternity consultant fees up to €300. (I should of checked this out myself but I took his word for it). I was wondering if it would be possible to see the consultant as a private patient pay all the fees due to her and then when I go into labour go into the hospital as a public patient? Or is it a case where I have to go to the hospital as a private patient and cover the cost of the birth and stay in the hospital ourselves? If this is the case how much would this cost us?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Happy2017 wrote: »
    Hi, I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and going private with a consultant in Limerick. My consultant is lovely and have had loads of appointments with her and we have paid each time we met her. My query is with my health insurance it is due for renewal in July and my husband always looked after that side of things and told me I had maternity cover on the policy. Turns out it's a basic plan (select starter) with only public hospital cover for maternity €400 and inpatient maternity consultant fees up to €300. (I should of checked this out myself but I took his word for it). I was wondering if it would be possible to see the consultant as a private patient pay all the fees due to her and then when I go into labour go into the hospital as a public patient? Or is it a case where I have to go to the hospital as a private patient and cover the cost of the birth and stay in the hospital ourselves? If this is the case how much would this cost us?

Thanks for any advice.

Moving from Kerry forum to Pregnancy forum. MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Happy2017 wrote: »

Thanks for any advice.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt they can force you to be admitted as a private patient, especially if you have no adequate health insurance.
    I can't remember how much it costs, it's a few thousand, if I recall from when I had my last baby. I thibk my policy covers me for "up to €3500", and I never had to pay anything.
    The easiest thing to do would be to phone the consultants secretary tomorrow, explain the situation and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dawnied

Hi there, I was just looking this up as I'm pretty much in the same position!! How did you get on with this? Was the charge a lot? It's a worry that's hanging over us just wish I had known too!

Advertisement