Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Uruguay, KO 6 pm, live on eir sport 1

• 04-06-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought I'd do a match thread. I like the line-ups for this one.
    Ireland XI: Randolph; Christie, Duffy, Long, Ward; Whelan, Hendrick, Arter; Brady, Walters, Hayes

Uruguay XI: Conde; Pereira, Gimenez, Coates, Caceres; Sanchez, Rios, Vecino; Urretaviscaya, Cavani, Laxalt

I'm pleased to see Hayes get a start. Himself and Brady could be dangerous down the wide channels.

I'm quite worried about how that defence will get on against Cavani though. If he's given close to ninety minutes I'd fancy him to score.

I'll predict a 2-2 draw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bright enough start.

Cavani off after 12 minutes due to a knock. Pity.

What a goal!

WALTERS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Brilliant finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Great goal by Walters. Ireland have been playing very well :)

• Advertisement

Header from Cacares hits the crossbar. Uruguay doing better since the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Randolph what are you doing.

Uruguay equalise from a set-piece. Gimenez. Randolph was very poor there. Gets nowhere near the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Really poor from Randolph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Harder to miss that

• Advertisement

OMG Walters! How did you miss that?

From the sublime to the ridiculous!

Scores a beauty but missed a sitter

Half-Time. Good game of football. I'd say Ireland were the better side. Main concern for me is our defending at set pieces. This is an area Austria will be strong with the likes of Janko and Hinteregger being a threat aerially.

I enjoyed that 1st half thought we played pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Really think Westwood is a more reliable keeper.

On current form it looks like it. He's on for the second half.

Christie scores!

Looked like an attempted cross. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Some man for those balls across the box that are schnaking in at the far post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Safe to say that Cyrus is one of the most clinical RB's in international association football

Nice save from Westwood.

Hendrick down with some injury. Hopefully not serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great run and goal from McClean.

Great goal from James McClean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Great goal, we needed this win

Great goal from James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A bullet into the bottom corner. His finishing has come a long way in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

When Suarez & Cavani retire Uruguay will have to call Zalayeta & Recoba out of retirement they are that stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ERG89 wrote: »
    When Suarez & Cavani retire Uruguay will have to call Zalayeta & Recoba out of retirement they are that stuck.

Sebastian Abreu still plays football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think Westwood is the better keeper but Randolph got his chance and did well .Very poor for the goal today but hoping it's just a blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Commentary is much better than Eir's!!

Full-Time and 3-1 to Ireland. A lot of positives from today. Best display of 2017, doesn't look to be any injuries, two great goals from Walters and McClean which should give us confidence going into the Austria game.

The goal we conceded is a worry as it was an avoidable goal, and we looked vulnerable at set-pieces, but hopefully we can do better in that department in the qualifier.

Overall, I think we have to be happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Was at the match and as Lansdowne friendlies go, this was hugely enjoyable. McClean's goal was just brilliant, a replica of his goal in Vienna.

Overall, a really lovely workout going into the Austria match next Sunday. Whatever happens, a lack of match fitness or a post season drop can not be made as excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Was also at the game. Great seats to watch the game from. We played all the football in the first half. All Uruguay did when they got it was lump a diagonal forward. Where as we, surprisingly, played some nice possession football and were the only ones who looked like scoring.

Very impressive stuff from us. Best I've seen us play in ages. Yes, it's true that this Uruguay team have lost a few in a row and they were missing Suarez......but we made them look rubbish tbh. And they are 3rd in the south american qualifying above Chile and Argentina.

This is good progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Kirby wrote: »
    Was also at the game. Great seats to watch the game from. We played all the football in the first half. All Uruguay did when they got it was lump a diagonal forward. Where as we, surprisingly, played some nice possession football and were the only ones who looked like scoring.

Very impressive stuff from us. Best I've seen us play in ages. Yes, it's true that this Uruguay team have lost a few in a row and they were missing Suarez......but we made them look rubbish tbh. And they are 3rd in the south american qualifying above Chile and Argentina.

This is good progress.

Agree with all this, Kirby. I wouldn't be reading anything at all into the fact we beat Uruguay 3-1 in a friendly in terms of what we have to do against Austria, but the fact that we did beat them along with the performance just leaves positive vibes going into that Austria game.

Can't wait for next Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Great performances by Arter and Walters yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A bullet into the bottom corner. His finishing has come a long way in the last few months.

Could be wrong, but I think tis his first goals since October?

noodler wrote: »
    Could be wrong, but I think tis his first goals since October?

Austria in November. McClean scored more goals for Ireland in competitive games this season than he did West Brom, two for West Brom (one in the league and league cup) and three for Ireland (x2 Moldova and Austria).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Austria in November. McClean scored more goals for Ireland in competitive games this season than he did West Brom, two for West Brom (one in the league and league cup) and three for Ireland (x2 Moldova and Austria).

Ah yeah but still, one goal since November.

Didn't really tally with the "his finishing has really come in in the last few months" post.

• Heading to the game Sunday
    Excitement upped after that performance regardless of it being a friendly or not

Advertisement