Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Pond Flooded

Options
  • 04-06-2017 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Recently you cannot walk round the Atlantic Pond as the water had flooded the footpaths. Initially I thought it might be because of a high tide but not so as it has not receded. The exit for the water at the Blackrock end through an iron grill seems at least partially blocked by a wooden pallet. Dont know if this is the cause. Before they start spending millions on the area which is indeed welcome this type of problem should be rectified.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Late last summer while visiting the Atlantic pond I noticed all the trees out in the island on the pond appeared dead except for two or three towards the middle, none of the trees had any leaves and appeared bleached, I have some photographs and will upload them in a day or so, normally you would hardly see the Herons & Egrets nesting on the trees because of the leaves, I revisited the pond a few times since and nothing has changed, I blamed pollution carried downstream from the industrial area up the marina, petro-chemical residues as I often get this smell while walking the pathway towards the pond, I was then told that on one occasion the sluice gate failed and the island flooded because of in ingress of salt water (which is a possibility)
    I returned today to do a bit of investigating, I had seen the iron grate that you mentioned badly blocked in the past, its in a terrible state and needs re-positioning and repair, you will see this from my images, the sluice is much farther on, on the bank of the river Lee and appeared to be slightly blocked today, you can access this area at low tide near where the wall has collapsed and has been fenced off, some hope of this ever been repaired id say, makes me wonder if the Cork city council has an Environmental officer that has any say, influence or interest in the matter, a walk down the Marina looking at all the litter leaves me in no doubt.

IMG_20180122_154421_zpsogedkzcd.jpg
    Water exiting the Atlantic pond bound for the river Lee, grate badly positioned and blocked occasionally.

IMG_20180122_154435_zpsjzrhumjh.jpg
    Another view of this grate.

IMG_20180122_154721_zpstmj2awfz.jpg
    Next stage after it passes under the pathway.

IMG_20180122_155500_zpsdi72eqyf.jpg?t=1516631558
    As viewed from the pathway.

IMG_20180122_154815_zpsr1iekbpk.jpg
    At the end of that section and just before it exits the sluice gate another damaged barrier, there is a huge amount of litter dumped above this, plastics mostly, appear to have been dumped from the locked up works situated there.

IMG_20180122_160513_zpsgbtqlmcl.jpg?t=1516631558
    The"one way" hinged sluice gate allowing water flow from the Atlantic pond directly into the Lee, the base of this seems to be blocked,

IMG_20180122_155928_zpshzav2khk.jpg
    Damaged river wall at the location where the water flows into the Lee.

IMG_20180122_161508_zps18kkm7ct.jpg
    No leaves but not surprising at this time of the year, Heorns, Egrets and Cormorants in the trees yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The place is in an absolute state.

It has the potential to be a nice area but it has been neglected for quiet a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Development of the Marina Park masterplan is supposed to sort this out but honestly I wouldn't have much confidence in the Council to actually follow through on that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Something, something...lack of resources...

With the exception of the stadium, that whole area has an air of neglect about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

A new park is to be built around the stadium and will incorporate a remodelled Atlantic Pond.

That training pitch beside the stadium should never have gone ahead as it will divided the park from the Atlantic Pond. It should have been congruous.

• Advertisement

A new park is to be built around the stadium and will incorporate a remodelled Atlantic Pond.

That training pitch beside the stadium should never have gone ahead as it will divided the park from the Atlantic Pond. It should have been congruous.

In the far off distant future perhaps. The Marina Park plan was launched in 2013 which is nearly a full 5 years ago now at this stage. Wouldn't be holding my breath on this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I heard it's now under 007 feet of water.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In the far off distant future perhaps. The Marina Park plan was launched in 2013 which is nearly a full 5 years ago now at this stage. Wouldn't be holding my breath on this happening.

The old showgrounds was knocked a few weeks back, I'm not sure of the site is fully cleared though.

Coming down the hill towards the stadium and CAV, you can see the site was pretty flooded the other day so I dont think there will be all that much work done or complete for a few months yet.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The old showgrounds was knocked a few weeks back, I'm not sure of the site is fully cleared though.

Coming down the hill towards the stadium and CAV, you can see the site was pretty flooded the other day so I dont think there will be all that much work done or complete for a few months yet.

My point is that in 5 years there's been very little done down there. At this pace we might have something resembling a park in the 2030s. Remember it's 7 years and counting since the Tramore Valley Park was supposed to be open.

Oh I agree with ya there, I just think there will be a push on to get something open up down there in time for the summer months and potential championship games down the Pairc.

• Advertisement

Oh I agree with ya there, I just think there will be a push on to get something open up down there in time for the summer months and potential championship games down the Pairc.

I doubt it, as far as I know the plan for was that Phase 1 would be open in 2019, and essentially nothing is happening down there at the moment so that schedule looks optimistic at best. Phase 1 is just the area around where the showgrounds were to the west of the stadium. The Atlantic Pond area to the east of the stadium is to be developed in future phases which aren't even funded at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

According to the Echo it went out to tender last Nov , but i havent heard updates since.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Council-seeks-tender-offers-for-first-phase-of-Marina-Park

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Might have been linked already , but here is the Council masterplan for the Marina Park.

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationsport/marinaparkmasterplan/

The artist's impression of the development, presumably during a drug induced state.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Demolition-work-underway-at-the-Showgrounds-to-make-way-for-new-Marina-Park-eafd28f0-019f-46a2-b545-6f6f15b6c3c4-ds

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=27.59_y0=0_x1=79.31_y1=100__image.jpg

The marsh land just before the pump house is also under used, I know in the plan above its included in the development but probably far off.

I seen just off the road in the bushes there appears to be someone or some people living in there in tents.

The tents have been there for a good few weeks now too, with the winter and the leaves coming off the bushes it became far more noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

The marsh land that you mention is in an appalling state, there is a huge pile pf rubbish dumped on one side, we ar indeed a filthy race.
    These are the images of the bleached trees on the island that I photographed a few months back
    IMG_20170809_122935_zpszolkshfc.jpg

IMG_20170809_121721_zps6otoklux.jpg

They dont show up quite as dramatically in the third shot but what you can see is that all the trees on the perimeter are devoid of leaves
    IMG_20170809_120949_zpsmcghpynt.jpg

So what killed these trees (that is if they are dead and they appear to be) pollution or flooding through a damaged sluice gate back during the summer, how long more will the Herons and Egrets nest in the island

I think there was a few amatuer tree surgeons in there too when the storm hit a few months back, seen a guy loading up his boot with a hefty amount of timber at the gate into recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Plenty of flytipping going on there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Jésus that artists impression is hilarious, what was his remit? 'Draw utopia there Frank'

Plenty of flytipping going on there too.

Black bags of sh1te attracts more black bags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

State of the place could be disappointing for these guys:

https://twitter.com/CorkEnvForum/status/959074093701230592

Advertisement