Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS X550 won't go beyond BIOS

Options
  • 04-06-2017 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I've been told it's the hard disc; I ruled this out because it's an intermittent issue. It's has totally given up the ghost now.
    I don't hear any strange noises from the hard disc.
    Apparently, my this issue with my ASUS is a known one and the issue is 'attributed' to the hard disc as an excuse more than anything.

I am running Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnemon edition, with 8GB ram and an i5 CPU.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To clarify:
    POST OK?
    BIOS functional (you can navigate it)?
    What happens after the BIOS/UEFI splash? "Disk not found" or just nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GerCor

It definitely sounds like it's the hard drive. It doesn't need to make a weird noise to be faulty. If the Bios boots then the MB and CPU must be ok. Try to run memtest to eliminate the memory and check your hard drive with a tool like CrystalDiskInfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

ED E wrote: »
    To clarify:
    POST OK?
    BIOS functional (you can navigate it)?
    What happens after the BIOS/UEFI splash?
    yes
    yes, BIOS can be navigated.
    the first page of the BIOS is displayed, and there is no further activity.

Sorry, I meant if you dont enter the bios, normally it should be Asus Logo then probably a GRUB2 screen or straight into Mint. Do you see the bootloader?

Yup, GRUB2 screen follows on from Asus Logo before entering Mint.
    I don't see the bootloader either now.

• Advertisement

Then its either rapidly overheating (dislodged cooler or a bust fan) or the disk is indeed dead.

turned out to be loose hard disc cable. mea culpa

In saying the above, people who mentioned overheating may not be too far wrong. take a look at the warped grilles on the thing turned over..

won't work. lookit, I'm typing on it so enjoy your BH, and listen to Ronan Collins on radio 1 as I have to now :)

Unfollowing thread.

Advertisement