Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp Smell

• 04-06-2017 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I have a small guest WC under my stairs which has a tiled floor. I discovered a persistent leak from the rear of the cistern which made the floor constantly damp, I got my plumber to repair the leak and I now want to re-tile the bathroom. I have removed all the old tiles but still can't get rid of a persistant damp smell even after putting a heater in there running for about 10 hours, any ideas please on this odour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

Stanford wrote: »
    I have a small guest WC under my stairs which has a tiled floor. I discovered a persistent leak from the rear of the cistern which made the floor constantly damp, I got my plumber to repair the leak and I now want to re-tile the bathroom. I have removed all the old tiles but still can't get rid of a persistant damp smell even after putting a heater in there running for about 10 hours, any ideas please on this odour?

Hire a dehumidifier. Leave it on for a few days or so. Most hire places should have one.

Hire a dehumidifier. Leave it on for a few days or so. Most hire places should have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Thanks for advice Black & White, , I put a dehumidifier in the bathroom and left it on for 3 full days and it only extracted about an eggcup of water, the damp and mouldy smell remains, would a floor sealant work, I see no point in re-tiling while the smell still exists?

If the dehumidifier doesn't work then I don't honestly know. You said the WC is under the stairs, is there a window or how is the room ventilated as the smell has to be able to go somewhere. You also said you removed all of the old tiles, is there any damp patches remaining on the floor or is everything seemingly dried out ? Is there a radiator in the room that may be leaking ? Is there any sign of damp patches in the ceiling of the WC as there may be a bathroom or pipework running overhead ?

If there is nothing obvious from that list, then I'd think about getting an expert in, an experienced plumber or surveyor who may recognise something a lay person might miss.

If it was me, I'd let the room air out fully for a few days, open windows throughout the house and see does the smell go away.

B&W.

Thanks B&W, bathroom is ventilated only by an extractor fan which only comes on with the light switch so no permanent extraction, old tiles/adhesive and skirting board removed and floor is dry, no sign of damp patches on walls or ceiling, I'm thinking about putting in self levelling compound to seal the whole floor, as you suggest I will get expert advice first.

It is interesting that there was no smell evident before and only appeared after the leak was fixed, maybe there is stagnant water trapped somewhere?

• Advertisement

Thanks B&W, bathroom is ventilated only by an extractor fan which only comes on with the light switch so no permanent extraction, old tiles/adhesive and skirting board removed and floor is dry, no sign of damp patches on walls or ceiling, I'm thinking about putting in self levelling compound to seal the whole floor, as you suggest I will get expert advice first.

It is interesting that there was no smell evident before and only appeared after the leak was fixed, maybe there is stagnant water trapped somewhere?

Possibly although there should be some signs if that was the case. Was there any dampness on the skirting boards ? I'd go with giving a few days with windows open and all interior doors open to create a draught and see does that help. BTW, I don't suppose there's a damp cloth or mop that you've overlooked left in a corner somewhere, they can stink after a while.

Nothing overlooked, its only a tiny WC under the stairs, the skirting board behind the toilet bowl where the leak was was a bit damp. I'm wondering if the water penetrated the lower part of the stud partition in this area?

Nothing overlooked, its only a tiny WC under the stairs, the skirting board behind the toilet bowl where the leak was was a bit damp. I'm wondering if the water penetrated the lower part of the stud partition in this area?

Possibly, if you can put a hand on the board it should be firm to touch. Any sponginess means it's damp. Depends on how easy or otherwise it is to access but if it's damp then you might think about replacing the bottom 3 feet or so. It would be a pain to do in a small room with a jax and sink though so I'd try airing it for a few days before anything drastic. I presume it's tiled over the existing board ?

Advertisement