Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACT 5 Troubleshooting (NICE MC424)

Options
  • 04-06-2017 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,
    Can anybody provide me some guidance through troubleshooting my ACT 5 keypad?
    It is used with a NICE MC424 control panel.
    The keypad itself accepts the code and the led on the keypad goes green, so it seems the keypad has recognised the code. However, the gates don't open.

I am unaware of anything that happened prior to this issue occurring.

Can anybody suggest any steps I might take to identify the problem here? I don't really know if the ACT 5 is simply wired or has some kind of code used to 'pair' with the control unit. So I am not sure if this will be a lose wire or that I may need to re-pair the keypad.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The Act 5 is wired back to the gate controller, is this cable damaged at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jaydev

Do you by any chance know which connectors in the control panel the keypad would come in to?
    I can have a look in the morning.

I'm assuming a common, a power, and some kind of signal.
    Just not sure which terminals to check, I have the control panel manual so if you can let me know what connections then I'll have a look.

Thanks for the reply by the way, really helps me figure this out :-)

Yea was working fine for well over 2 years (as long as I've had the place).
    OK cool, will check that in the morning.

Then I guess it's back into the control unit to check connections and confirm continuity between the keypad wires and control panel wires.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Terminals 9 & 10 on the control board are your poweŕ terminals which because the keypad is working are ok.

Terminals 11 & 15 on the control board are the action terminals as in when shorted across will switch the control so that it moves the motor.

Now tell me, what is the lay out on site, is there any other device like an intercom that can also open the gate ? If so, does pressing that have any effect?

Is there an emergency stop button fitted ?

Be very careful at that control unit, there is live mains cables and obviously danger of the gates moving unexpectantly.

I reckon I'll check the terminals 11 & 15 first then.
    Yes there's an intercom which is still working fine, and the electronic lock is still working as intended.

Interestingly though, the intercom has stopped working in terms of being able to hear the mic from in the house, so that could be something to consider.
    I guess it's possible the cable has been snagged, but as I say, I didn't do anything I'm aware of prior to the issue.

Thanks for the information, I'll take a look and report back :-)

• Advertisement

OK so I'm nearly there.
    I checked the continuity between N/O and COMM on the keypad and it fires as expected when the correct code is entered. So it seems the keypad is working as it should.

The wires into terminals 11 and 15 are sound, and inserting a link between them opens the gate, as suggested; so the control panel seems to be working as it should.

The wires into the control panel go via another weatherproof unit which has been used as a large junction box for signals and power.
    The joint blocks all look fine and in good order.

So now I am going to test the continuity along the wires from the junction to the control panel then from the keypad to the junction. I was trying to do this earlier today, but the kids wanted to go on a bike ride and I was already on borrowed time!
    So hopefully I can get this confirmed tomorrow and at least then I should know if I need to re-wire or perform an additional joint fix.

So once again, thanks kub and sugarman for your help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Blubbyblab

Hi, sorry for posting on an old thread. Did you ever find the solution to your problem as I'm having the same issue. The remote control opens the gate however keypad does not. Light goes green when key is inputted but the gates do not open.

Many thanks

Advertisement