Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a chance?

Options
  • 04-06-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello everyone!

I am wondering if I have a chance of joining the force during the current recruitment drive while I am sitting my leaving cert this month. I am required to be in possession of a leaving certificate by the closing date of the recruitment drive according to the entry requirements.

I am a 18 year old male who is passionate about law enforcement and has always wanted to pursue a career in the field. I study seven subjects, six of which are higher level. I speak two languages fluently and in good physical shape as I go to the gym six days a week and have been for the past two years.

I saw an opportunity to join and I went for it despite not meeting the leaving cert requirement as becoming an officer of the law has always been my dream for a variety of reasons. Though I just graduated school, I technically won't have my leaving certificate until August 16th this year (Just before the beginning of stage 3) as that's when the leaving cert results are going to be released.

I hope this detail will not hinder my chances of joining the force this recruitment drive. I will apply in the following recruitment drive if I get declined for this regardless. Though it would be optimal if I was given a chance to go through the recruitment process despite not getting a leaving certificate until August.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

While your aspirations are admirable, my advice to you is don't join so young.
    Go, enjoy your youth, go to college, go travelling, experience different cultures, countries & people.
    The life experience you will gain in a few years will stand to you in your future career. It will make you a more rounded guard, one with common sense, & a wide life experience to draw on in different situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mason123

Dutybelt wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

I am wondering if I have a chance of joining the force during the current recruitment drive while I am sitting my leaving cert this month. I am required to be in possession of a leaving certificate by the closing date of the recruitment drive according to the entry requirements.

I am a 18 year old male who is passionate about law enforcement and has always wanted to pursue a career in the field. I study seven subjects, six of which are higher level. I speak two languages fluently and in good physical shape as I go to the gym six days a week and have been for the past two years.

I saw an opportunity to join and I went for it despite not meeting the leaving cert requirement as becoming an officer of the law has always been my dream for a variety of reasons. Though I just graduated school, I technically won't have my leaving certificate until August 16th this year (Just before the beginning of stage 3) as that's when the leaving cert results are going to be released.

I hope this detail will not hinder my chances of joining the force this recruitment drive. I will apply in the following recruitment drive if I get declined for this regardless. Though it would be optimal if I was given a chance to go through the recruitment process despite not getting a leaving certificate until August.

Thanks in advance!

Apply away... get as much experience doing interviews and going through the process as you can, but like the last poster said don't let it be you be your only goal... get into college, get involved in college groups, volunteer in your local area. Join the Garda reserve or even RDF. If your into football or what ever sport get a coaching badge and get involved with you youth set up.
    At your age your biggest hurdle will be meeting the 5 criteria at the interview but the more you get out into the world the easyer it will be!!!
    Feel Free to message me if you have any queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dutybelt

I have experienced a variety of cultures. I have been to Eastern Europe, Middle-East and Asia. Plus on top of what experienced here, in Ireland. I have great appreciation and understanding of different cultures.

There is nothing in college than some business courses interests me. To be honest, I would rather go to Templemore and study Applied Policing for the next two years than do anything else. Becoming an officer of the law is something that I really, really. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking to join up for all the wrong reasons and be a "powerwhore" by any chance or use the position solely to have authority over others.

I have a plan B if I don't get in. I applied for a L8 Accounting And Finance course which I am 110% sure I will get. If I don't get in the force, I will go for that and then try to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mason123

Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!

Apply away... get as much experience doing interviews and going through the process as you can, but like the last poster said don't let it be you be your only goal... get into college, get involved in college groups, volunteer in your local area. Join the Garda reserve or even RDF. If your into football or what ever sport get a coaching badge and get involved with you youth set up.
    At your age your biggest hurdle will be meeting the 5 criteria at the interview but the more you get out into the world the easyer it will be!!!
    Feel Free to message me if you have any queries.

I have experienced a variety of cultures. I have been to Eastern Europe, Middle-East and Asia. Plus on top of what experienced here, in Ireland. I have great appreciation and understanding of different cultures.

No offence, but you are just doing your leaving cert, it's great that you have been those places but it's life experience I'm talking about.
    You can always do something in college that could come in useful in a career in AGS. Work on the languages maybe? You can do courses in criminology etc there's careers in photography, I.T. other technical jobs all available in AGS.
    I really would chill for a few years.
    Oh, & be young, have fun....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 JN94

Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!
    I have a friend who done the same thing and he passed the interview to be only told he could not continue in the process as he did not meet the entry requirements. Although he passed the interview he was not allowed to continue on this technicalitie as he completed stage 2 around the same time he finished the leaving.
    I think you should do it for the interview experience but don't be surprised if your not allowed to continue passed the interview process even if you pass.
    Just a heads up and best of luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dutybelt

I have a friend who done the same thing and he passed the interview to be only told he could not continue in the process as he did not meet the entry requirements. Although he passed the interview he was not allowed to continue on this technicalitie as he completed stage 2 around the same time he finished the leaving.
    I think you should do it for the interview experience but don't be surprised if your not allowed to continue passed the interview process even if you pass.
    Just a heads up and best of luck !!

Damn, that's a bummer. I guess even if I don't get through it's going to be a valuable learning experience at the end of the day.

Thanks for the post!

Advertisement