Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lab with watery eyes

Options
  • 05-06-2017 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

I have a 2.5yo male chocolate lab that has almost constant watering eyes.
    They're sometimes streaming.
    He often likes to rub them on something rough like the side of the couch or my jeans which means they probably are irritating him as well.

He's been like that since he was 6/7 months. Vet says it's an allergy of some sort but we've changed food, bedding etc several times and no difference.

We also have a 5 yo golden lab. Is it possible she is causing it?

This is a pic I took yesterday out on a walk. Looks mild enough in it but it's often a lot worse.

419118.JPG
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Did the vet check to make sure his eyelashes are not growing inwards. It's very common but needs surgery to correct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Did the vet check to make sure his eyelashes are not growing inwards. It's very common but needs surgery to correct it.

I'd say he did. He said he couldn't see anything physical that could be causing it. That's why he reckoned it was an allergy of some sort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Inturned eyelashes (entropion) was the first thing I thought of too, but if your vet has ruled it out, it's something else! Those eyes look irritated and swollen :(
    I know several chocolate labs with terrible allergies. One belongs to a relation of mine, and like you she struggled to find a cause. She eventually stumbled across a dry food with one rather novel protein source... Kangaroo meat! The dog is not perfect, but far better.
    I know you've tried different foods... But what have you tried?
    Has your vet broached the subject of medicating your dog to suppress the immune response somewhat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Did your vet put a dye in his eyes to check that his tear ducts aren't blocked?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

It doesn't look like it in the pic,but dogs can get conjunctivitis like humans can(believe it or not)could it be that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Poor guy. If it's an allergy to something that you've been unable to identify, are you at least giving him antihistamines to treat the symptoms? My girl has seasonal 'hayfever' type allergies and she gets cetirazine during the day and Piriton at night when she's feeling bad. It makes her much more comfortable and eliminates scratching at her eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 busheisha

What about copper? Brown (bb) dogs sometimes need more copper than black (B-).
    I know some dogs which helped by copper.
    What does he eat?

DBB wrote: »
    Inturned eyelashes (entropion) was the first thing I thought of too, but if your vet has ruled it out, it's something else! Those eyes look irritated and swollen :(
    I know several chocolate labs with terrible allergies. One belongs to a relation of mine, and like you she struggled to find a cause. She eventually stumbled across a dry food with one rather novel protein source... Kangaroo meat! The dog is not perfect, but far better.
    I know you've tried different foods... But what have you tried?
    Has your vet broached the subject of medicating your dog to suppress the immune response somewhat?
    Yeah. I heard chocolates are more prone to allergies. He hasn't mentioned medication. He's a traditional, experienced and practical vet. If he feels medication will help he'll give it but he won't prescribe just for the sake of it if he doesn't think it will help.
    VonVix wrote: »
    Did your vet put a dye in his eyes to check that his tear ducts aren't blocked?
    No he didn't.
    It doesn't look like it in the pic,but dogs can get conjunctivitis like humans can(believe it or not)could it be that?
    I thought conjunctivitis would cause a mucus discharge rather than watery?
    Dubl07 wrote: »
    Poor guy. If it's an allergy to something that you've been unable to identify, are you at least giving him antihistamines to treat the symptoms? My girl has seasonal 'hayfever' type allergies and she gets cetirazine during the day and Piriton at night when she's feeling bad. It makes her much more comfortable and eliminates scratching at her eyes.
    I know. Yes. Giving him antihistamines. Some days it's not too bad anyway so it's hard to know whether they are having any effect. The watery eyes are hay fever like symptoms alright but it's not seasonal like hay fever. He has a touch of it all the time.
    busheisha wrote: »
    What about copper? Brown (bb) dogs sometimes need more copper than black (B-).
    I know some dogs which helped by copper.
    What does he eat?
    Never heard of copper deficiency.
    Both dogs eat 'Barking Heads Dog Food Bad Hair Day Lamb and Rice'.
    We've tried various blends of Royal Canin, Hills Science Plan, James Wellbeloved and a few others I can't think off now. High and low protein, various ingredients. Lamb, chicken, turkey, duck, with rice or grain free etc,

Some he just wouldn't touch, others he would eat but he'd get sick or diarrhea but no change with the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 busheisha

---Quote (Originally by kaizersoze)---
    We've tried various blends of Royal Canin, Hills Science Plan, James Wellbeloved and a few others I can't think off now. High and low protein, various ingredients. Lamb, chicken, turkey, duck, with rice or grain free etc,

Some he just wouldn't touch, others he would eat but he'd get sick or diarrhea but no change with the eyes.
    ---End Quote---
    Did you feed him raw dog food?

busheisha wrote: »
    ---Quote (Originally by kaizersoze)---

---End Quote---
    Did you feed him raw dog food?

No

• Advertisement
Advertisement