Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Support Units for "major" Irish cities

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭AzcuzCoz

IS is active in Waterford? What will they be attacking there? A few cars? A ferry maybe?

Edit: they're probably after their crystal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tell us more about Isis being active in Waterford please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

I heard about that a few weeks ago alright, but two people raising funds for them, Waterford is hardly Raqqa now is it! Is there a cell or something in Waterford itself?

Sosurface wrote: »

Yes, I recall the incident. A couple were arrested on suspicion of raising funds to send to Syria. You interpret that as Isis "being known to be active"? You realise it's not the same thing?

• Advertisement

AzcuzCoz wrote: »
    I heard about that a few weeks ago alright, but two people raising funds for them, Waterford is hardly Raqqa now is it! Is there a cell or something in Waterford itself?
    Not the first time in recent years there have been arrests for similar purposes in the city. Too lazy to dig up older links but you'll find em if you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"ISIS active in Waterford".

It appears the Culture of Fear is getting to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

They dont even care if they strike here. Despite ISIS being known to be active in Waterford.

http://www.thejournal.ie/armed-support-units-irish-cities-terror-watch-3427293-Jun2017/

There has been a ASU based in Waterford for years. I’d say this is some dozy Dud that could not tell the difference between Waterford And Kilkenny. Why would you even put an ASU in Kilkenny being that it has such a small population.

NIMAN wrote: »
    "ISIS active in Waterford".

It appears the Culture of Fear is getting to some people.
    How active are they in Kilkenny? or Galway, Limerick, Cork etc?

You tell us, you're the one with the big hysterical post with an unsubstantiated claim.

• Advertisement

I do agree that it is a bit OTT, but if we were that way inclined about security then we better deploy the ASU to Leitrim then!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I haven't a baldies.

Carrick on Shannon is a major stag destination. Alcohol consumption. Promiscuous sex. Strippers. Midgets. Isis hate all that and will want to target it. Lock the place down.

You tell us, you're the one with the big hysterical post with an unsubstantiated claim.
    "Major Irish cities" ......... Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick.................Kilkenny.
    Fill in the blank and spot the odd one out.

Sure the last time I heard they were active up in Ballinamuck. Why don't they deploy the ASU there?

This pointless OTT reaction really does get at me...

In all seriousness now, what the flying **** are you actually on about?

How active are Isis in any of the major cities of Ireland? I have no ****ing clue, but at a stretch, I'm going to guess at "not very ****ing active whatsoever".

There are 5 "cities" named. One of them is not a major Irish city. One not named is. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Sosurface wrote:
    They dont even care if they strike here. Despite ISIS being known to be active in Waterford.

There were a lot more people allegedly raising money for terrorists to murder Brits 20 years ago than now. Having arseholes raising money for terrorists is thankfully a lot different from active terrorist cells....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 maizes

word on the grapevine is the hotspots are waterford, limerick and that place in dublin,

also some eyes are on a town in mayo

doen't prove anything

There are 5 "cities" named. One of them is not a major Irish city. One not named is. Hope this helps.

No, it doesn't help in the slightest. You asked how active Isis are in major cities. What the **** does naming the cities have to do with anything?

Do you even know what you're responding to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Jihad Jane and the black flag were in hiding in Waterford a while back. Jihad Jane was in Viewmount, the mosque has been raided because of suspected terrorism links as have a number of places in the city centre.

There was a security expert interviewed on Newstalk a while back and he said Waterford and Wexford were hot spots for fundamentalists.

I doubt Waterford is anywhere on ISIS's target list. They would aim for busy places like a major city, football match, concert etc and Waterford has none of these, very rare there is a high concentration of people in one place in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well I'm just glad it's Kilkenny ISIS are interested in ;) Anyway that article is from the Churnel, which has journalism of infant school level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

As per John Hearne on fb, the unit is already based here which is why Waterford was not listed.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

As per John Hearne on fb, the unit is already based here which is why Waterford was not listed.
    You would assume this would have been reported in the article then no? And surely they already had them in Dublin and Cork, so why were they mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Get over it .... Waterford does not exist except in your collective imagination, hence no mention in the article!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Deiseen wrote: »
    You would assume this would have been reported in the article then no? And surely they already had them in Dublin and Cork, so why were they mentioned?

Dunno, all I can tell you is he commented that he rang them to query it and that was his response.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Deiseen wrote: »

Dunno, all I can tell you is he commented that he rang them to query it and that was his response.

This armed response unit is different from the emergency response unit so someone is getting their wires crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Top Secret!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Top Secret!!!

Starring Val Kilmer.

Advertisement