Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Support Units for "major" Irish cities

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Deiseen wrote: »
    This armed response unit is different from the emergency response unit so someone is getting their wires crossed

Yeah they are two different units wasn't the ARU set up last year to deal with the feud in Dublin and the ERU was always based in Waterford,or is it the other way around :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

deisemum wrote: »
    Jihad Jane and the black flag were in hiding in Waterford a while back. Jihad Jane was in Viewmount, the mosque has been raided because of suspected terrorism links as have a number of places in the city centre.

There was a security expert interviewed on Newstalk a while back and he said Waterford and Wexford were hot spots for fundamentalists.
    I doubt Waterford is anywhere on ISIS's target list. They would aim for busy places like a major city, football match, concert etc and Waterford has none of these, very rare there is a high concentration of people in one place in Waterford.

Winterval, Spraoi, ...

Anyway, don't think they'd be worried about attacks so much as just operation command centers sort of thing anyway. Training/planning/communication.

Oh, and coincidentally, Saudi investors want to invest right here, in Waterford ?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/saudi-mall-operator-plans-shopping-centre-in-waterford-1.3017993

Reading into it a bit more, this guy was only hired in May 16, and in February 2017 this is what he said about expansion in a pretty comprehensive article :
    Al Jasser says Arabian Centres has no plans to expand outside the kingdom, insisting that Saudi Arabia — with a population of at least 30 million people — is a big enough country to fulfil its growth expansion plans. The company’s malls are concentrated in Dammam, Riyadh and Jeddah, with new additions in Makkah and Madinah (both top religious tourism destinations) and Qassim.

I think it's a bit odd.

But hey, there could be nothing in it, maybe he just changed his mind on expansion ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I've seen the armed response unit all over the city the past few weeks, multiple times.

The guards seems to have a really high presence lately, just today I saw two squad cars and the armed response vehicle out patrolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

AzcuzCoz wrote: »

Edit: they're probably after their crystal.

Hopefully they get more out of it than the poor workers did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

There's not a chance the ARU have an 8 minute response time in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

eeguy wrote: »
    There's not a chance the ARU have an 8 minute response time in Dublin.

they done 'a paper exercise'!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What the met did was superb, 8 minutes from first 911 call to 3 dead scumbags is pretty damn impressive. Lets just hope we don't find out what the actual response time would be in Dublin, let alone anywhere else!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

What the met did was superb, 8 minutes from first 911 call to 3 dead scumbags is pretty damn impressive. Lets just hope we don't find out what the actual response time would be in Dublin, let alone anywhere else!

No talk of the IRA lads found with 6kg of TNT...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

BBM77 wrote: »
    There has been a ASU based in Waterford for years. I’d say this is some dozy Dud that could not tell the difference between Waterford And Kilkenny. Why would you even put an ASU in Kilkenny being that it has such a small population.

Yea because the metropolis of Waterford is just so much more important with its barely double population!
    Kilkenny is more of a terror threat due to the large congregations of crowds of all difference nationalities, but still low. They'll go for dublin if they want to do anything here

Sosurface wrote: »
    There are 5 "cities" named. One of them is not a major Irish city. One not named is. Hope this helps.

Waterford isn't a major city...53000 people live there- it's not major, nor are limerick or Galway tbh

• Advertisement

I doubt Waterford is anywhere on ISIS's target list. They would aim for busy places like a major city, football match, concert etc and Waterford has none of these, very rare there is a high concentration of people in one place in Waterford.

I'd think tramore beach if anywhere was a risk.

road_high wrote: »

Waterford has over double the population and gets just as many tourists as Kilkenny.

Kilkenny looks rammed with tourists because the place is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I dont believe any extremist is stupid enough to attack anywhere in Ireland. Not because we have them all under 24hr surveillance, not because we arent a big enough target but i believe they know how easy it is for them to pretty much hide here. They have a back door to the UK, the can come and go as they please within reason. Any person with any level of intelligence who is engaged in terrorist activity will see this.

Perhaps a lone wolf attack may happen but usually that is done by someone who is mentally unstable or whos head has been turned due to many factors which are mostly far from religous or idealogical beliefs. To be fair if i suddendly said **** it im angry at the world i could plan and carry out an attack which has nothing to do with ISIS or the likes but them ****ers would claim it anyway.

This argument about who between Kilkenny or Waterford being a target is pretty dumb to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Waterford has over double the population and gets just as many tourists as Kilkenny.

Or less visitors than Kilkenny ..............
    Overseas visitors by county (2015)
    1. Dublin: 4,938,000
    2. Cork: 1,449,000
    3. Galway: 1,354,000
    4. Kerry: 1,026,000
    5. Clare: 597,000
    6. Limerick: 537,000
    7. Mayo: 302,000
    8. Donegal: 289,000
    9. Kilkenny: 267,000
    10. Waterford: 263,000

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What do you mean by ISIS are active in waterford? Are you referring to the couple who were arrested in waterford? They are just two people associated with terrorism who happened to be living in waterford, I dont think there was any larger network which they were part of which was specifically targeting waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

greenspurs wrote: »

If I visit Donegal for a few days, am I not a tourist?
    Got a link to that publication?

If I visit Donegal for a few days, am I not a tourist?
    Got a link to that publication?

OVERSEAS visitor stats....
    Failte Ireland website......

:D:D:D
    Are you serious ?? Tramore beach ? Isis Attack ?? :cool::confused:

Oh. My. God. 4000 more visitors!!! Unbelievable!!! I didn't know that the amount was that high, jesus some difference there boy, can't believe it, unreal.

Oh. My. God. 4000 more visitors!!! Unbelievable!!! I didn't know that the amount was that high, jesus some difference there boy, can't believe it, unreal.

Its ok.... just because you were proved incorrect.... Relax....

• Advertisement

Its ok.... just because you were proved incorrect.... Relax....

Oh man, totally incorrect. Can't believe that Kilkenny tourism is THAT far ahead of Waterford, jesus we are seriously behind with that whole 1.5% less tourists.

Oh man, totally incorrect. Can't believe that Kilkenny tourism is THAT far ahead of Waterford, jesus we are seriously behind with that whole 1.5% less tourists.

yep ...... Always behind Kilkenny.

yep ...... Always behind Kilkenny.

A whole 1.5%! Could you tell me how much the tourists spend in Kilkenny? Waterford must be behind on the spend too surely....

A whole 1.5%! Could you tell me how much the tourists spend in Kilkenny? Waterford must be behind on the spend too surely....

Nope.... I dont care. My work here is done....
    Must head for Tramore, see if i can spot any ISIS members on the Prom ! :D:D:D:D:D:pac::p

Nope.... I dont care. My work here is done....
    Must head for Tramore, see if i can spot any ISIS members on the Prom ! :D:D:D:D:D:pac::p

Ah sure it's only €30 million euro more anyway...

We dont mind. Kilkenny is thriving, very busy and full of happy tourists.... :pac:

Hows all the coffee shops and discount stores ? I heard Dealz are great for lemons.... (not that yee need any... ;) )

We dont mind. Kilkenny is thriving, very busy and full of happy tourists.... :pac:

Hows all the coffee shops and discount stores ? I heard Dealz are great for lemons.... (not that yee need any... ;) )

4000 more tourists in a year (only 10 a day!), spending €30 million euro less. Sounds like it's booming altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

4000 more tourists in a year (only 10 a day!), spending €30 million euro less. Sounds like it's booming altogether.

Why even bother reply to childish sh!t he/she is spouting on with?

I lived in the town of Kilkenny and it is nice to be fair but i moved back to Waterford as there is much more to do and see. Some people in Kilkenny think the place is Mecca lets just leave them enjoy the delusional that seeps into their brains..........lets not feed the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

BBM77 wrote: »
    There has been a ASU based in Waterford for years. I’d say this is some dozy Dud that could not tell the difference between Waterford And Kilkenny. Why would you even put an ASU in Kilkenny being that it has such a small population.

Yea because the metropolis of Waterford is just so much more important with its barely double population!
    Kilkenny is more of a terror threat due to the large congregations of crowds of all difference nationalities, but still low. They'll go for dublin if they want to do anything here
    Nice try but its actually triple the population. Kilkenny's official urban population is still less than 20000. The statistical area you are on about is environs included which is 27000 for Kilkenny. The Waterford environs adds another 40000 to the population of Waterford. But you knew this didn't you spoofer? Kilkenny is so vibrant here you are on the Waterford City forum:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Or less visitors than Kilkenny  ..............

• Dublin: 4,938,000
    • Cork: 1,449,000
    • Galway: 1,354,000
    • Kerry: 1,026,000
    • Clare: 597,000
    • Limerick: 537,000
    • Mayo: 302,000
    • Donegal: 289,000
    • Kilkenny: 267,000
    • Waterford: 263,000
    Means f*ck all if they are not spending the money. It seems like 100000 or so are getting off the bus, taking a selfie and going where the action is which is Waterford. Granted Kilkenny is the hen night capital of the South East but most places are trying to move away from that particular Jeremy Kyle freak show.

Advertisement